New WaveFront Classic Finally Arrived...

Posted: 4/30/2008 3:42:05 PM
Rowsby

This is essentially an expanded repost from the inactive WaveFront Forum, which seems hard to access from this site's main directory-- so it's reposted here, for people to more easily view:

The new Wavefront Classic finally arrived. Gene dropped it off personally, at the Studio early this week.

The Solid Walnut Case is finely crafted; from its wooden dado's to the precision brass hinges for the gracefully curved top.

Everything internally, is clean and well thought out. The gold plated antennas stow away inside the case neatly, againt the back on little clips that prohibit vibration during transit. The entire machine screams of quality and craftsmanship. Mr. Sagal even provides a gross adjustment tool for the circuit board pots, and a microfiber cleaning cloth, to maintain the antennas.

The cabinet legs are detachable with a twist at nearly invisible joints built into the legs, so the Classic can also sit easily on a table, if prefered.

One minor thing I did note, is that the knobs for the front brass plate (which is well labeled and attractively laid out), were different than on older models. The new controls are slightly smaller, with metal caps.

Controls include: Power On (With a retro ruby red styled jewled indicator light), Volume and Pitch antenna controls, Waveform and Brightness, and Headphone and Amp Volume controls with 1/4 inch Outputs. There is no pitch preview on the Classic...

Once attached to my hybrid tube amp, I was happy to discover the tonalities of the machine. It not only has a very classic, retro design, but the tones are similar to those of the early RCA Theremins I've heard.

Though it took longer to deliver than I expected, I'm very satisfied with my purchase and will look into obrtaining his Midi Converter, after I'm better at playing this fine instrument he built for me. I think it would be cool to use it to control my S90ES.

Rowsby

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.