Radio/theremin question

Posted: 5/6/2008 9:02:34 PM
Thereminless

Question...assume a person has a theremin in front of him/herself and that the theremin is turned on. The person takes a radio (in CW/SSB) mode, and tunes it to the frequency of the fixed oscillator (the "beat" goes to zero with the beat frequency oscillator). The person then switches the radio to AM mode. Wouldn't the radio act like a "pitch preview", giving the difference in frequency of the two oscillators?

I'd try this myself, but, I am:

Thereminless

P.S. Thanks to all who would reply.
Posted: 5/7/2008 10:54:18 AM
Thierry

Yes, theoretically, but I am not sure if it is practicable, since the frequencies of the fixed osc and the radio may drift away with temperature and time. A second problem may be that in a theremin the variable and the fixed osc tend to pull one another or even to lock when their frequency difference is small enough.
Posted: 6/6/2008 3:07:22 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Thereminless - I have just noticed.. you have been thereminless for more than 3 years! How can you stand such deprivation for so long ??

Drop me an email, - I have boxes of junked theremin prototypes, and some boards which could easily be cobbled together to make a 'working' theremin - Certainly better than being Thereminless! - I would be happy to send something to you for the cost of postage + perhaps £6 for the LM633 I would need to fit into the IC socket.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.