Which model would be better for me to buy???

Posted: 6/4/2008 2:48:56 PM
rainbyrd77

I was hoping someone who knows a little about Theremins could give me some advice. I am a NOVICE (I saw someone playing one and decided I MUST learn to play one of those in this life!) I found 2 kits for under $200, the B3 and the PAiA Theremax. Can anyone advise me as to which might be a better choice for one as green as I?

I am unwilling to even consider a single antaenna version, (why even bother?)

If one is easier to build and/or play, I would love to know.

Thanks!
Posted: 6/4/2008 9:55:38 PM
schielenkrahe

If you hunt EBAY under "theremin" for a couple of days, you should be able to land a standard Moog Etherwave for less than its list price of $379.00.

The Theremax you have to build, which may appeal to you. Dan Burns is the maker of the B3, and his theremin is very playable, but also very small -- I've found that for ease of use, the Etherwave is the way to go if you're thinking of becoming a serious player. It's more versatile, more controllable relative to stability, and offers a wider range of settings and timbres.

For the few extra dollars, it's well worth it.

I believe others here would agree.

Schielienkrahe
www.performancekr.com
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:31:03 PM
teslatheremin

Hello,
The ThereMax has a few points of interest as to it's customization: 1)The Theremax can send control voltages to modular synths; 2)The Theremax can be modified to give many different timbres and control ranges; and 3)The Theremax can be supplemented with addition electronics to control MIDI devices by pitch and volume.
However, the PAiA ThereMax is an electronic kit that will require good soldering skills and an orderly construction mind-set. If one has never built an electronics project, then the TherMax might not be a Theremin option.
Check out the extensive posts about all past and present Theremin instruments available, and then assess your needs.

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 6/6/2008 10:07:31 AM
rainbyrd77

Thank you so much. It sounds to me like both of you would recommend the Theramax.

I really appreceiate the help!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.