Without Touch 2.0 Theremin Festival reports and photos.

Posted: 9/17/2008 12:05:26 PM
GordonC

Please post your reports and links to photos etc from Without Touch 2.0 here.

Continued from here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=3341&F=715&p=3).
Posted: 9/19/2008 11:30:19 AM
fairplay

...I have put up a few photos onto MySpace (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=300127131&albumId=796444)...
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:05:45 AM
fairplay

...sorry, I have to run...but as I'll be away for a week or so, I just wanted to let you know:

...I am just uploading the Without Touch 2.0 - teaser-video to my YouTube-channel (as it is still uploading, I cannot post the correct URL yet):

http://youtube.com/user/bytesatwork (...sorry, I have to run...but as I'll be away for a week or so, I just wanted to let you know:

...I am just uploading the Without Touch 2.0 - teaser-video to my YouTube-channel (as it is still uploading, I cannot post the correct URL yet):

[url=http://youtube.com/user/bytesatwork)

Posted: 9/21/2008 9:37:38 AM
omhoge

Thanks so much guys. Looks like it was fantastic!
What were all the events like, where there classes too?,
oh and is that player with the fair hair
Barbara Buchholz?
Did Thierry perform amongst museum cases?

much appreciated.
Posted: 9/21/2008 11:56:31 AM
GordonC

Working link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlBxrzOjDU

Great video! And a great event. Especially interesting was the piano-theremin played by Lydia (8:25 to 8:50 on the video.) Also cars in Lippstadt [i]do[/i] drive on the ceiling and people do their shopping most rapidly. Or perhaps that's just when I'm playing.

Yes, Barbara's hair is peroxide blonde at the moment.

Thierry was indeed in a museum.

I love that bit where the camera crew dollies across the screen. (Chris - Fairplay - moaned so much about that!)
Posted: 9/21/2008 5:20:57 PM
Thierry

Yes, Thierry was invited to perform in the historical museum of Lippstadt. I could choose between several of their rooms and after seeing that the public were mostly elderly people, I decided for the Baroque/Rokkoko room and an adapted program.

Before, when Wolfgang asked me if I would perform in public, I wasn't at all sure if I should. First, until now I played only for myself, thinking that I wasn't yet good enough for a public performance (I still do think that!) Second, the day before this performance Lydia had harshly criticized my vibrato and my phrasing (among other but less important details). So I couldn't already not fall back in my old style, but hadn't yet adopted the correct one (am still working hard on this).

Finally I didn't want to deceive Wolfgang and the really friendly museums' director Dr. Poetter and I went there.

Seen the Public and the environment, I started with Rachmaninovs Vocalize (with piano accompaniment from my MP3-Player), told then people a bit about the Theremins' history and playing technique and answered to their questions. One man wished that I should play something more popular, so I played the Wiegenlied from Brahms (without any accompaniment), telling that I play it sometimes in the evening for my four daughters. Then, as a tribute to the marvelous room I played the Air in G from Bach (with MP3-piano), invited people to come in the evening to the festive final Concert with Lydia, Barbara, Carolina and Wilco and finished with the Swan.

OK, this more or less spontaneous action taught me that on one side the average public has perhaps not so high expectations as I have for myself. So you will still have to wait some more years until I appear perhaps on YT... On the other side, I learned for myself that I might do such things in case it would be really needed
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:12:38 AM
DOMINIK

I added a few more (common format) photos on my site (http://www.subscope.de). When i asked myself whether to take part or not at Without Touch 2, i was wondering what to expect. Nothing/everything, so i decided to look forward to it. It was great to see and hear amateurs and pros performing, especially the mixed Theremin-Orchestra being conducted (sorry for my english, hopefully this is the right term) by Lydia was a really precious experience among being around of this kind, enthusiastic and relaxed family. And hey - finally being home again i feel.. ermm, kind of changes belonging to my playing technique..
I wish i could have seen all concerts in the city. Trautonia, Thierry and others might have had a more willing audience due to not being on the run.
Posted: 10/4/2008 11:55:42 PM
Brian R

[i]OK, this more or less spontaneous action taught me that on one side the average public has perhaps not so high expectations as I have for myself.[/i]

This has always been my experience in my theremin performances so far. It always brings me back to the first axiom from Charles Ludlam's manifesto, "Ridiculous Theater, Scourge of Human Folly":

[i]You are a living mockery of your own ideals. If not, you have set your ideals too low.[/i]

Posted: 10/5/2008 6:59:06 AM
Thierry

"Self-mockery" is my second name... (rolleyes)
Posted: 10/5/2008 11:38:24 AM
omhoge

OT: Brian!, you have no idea what a delight is was just now to see you mention Charles Ludlam in these pages. His legacy and the surviving members of his theater are still a vital part of our lives here in lower Manhattan, his spirit, and Jack Smith's, and oh so many glittering souls still inspire. I'm thrilled to hear a little of his genius has become part of your life too.

Back On T: Theirry, was rereading your post on the performance. It sounds like a great moment of guerrilla thereminization! The things that happen live are so unpredictable, our practice has to be not only mastering the music at hand but being able to surf the unexpected - on every front. We never really know exactly what an audience experiences, part of is really throwing a Roarschock out for them to make of it what they will, besides continuing keeping honest with myself, am trying to learn to give myself some benefit of the doubt too.
thanks fellows!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.