The Moog Etherwave Pro volume response: Not longer snappy!

Posted: 5/27/2009 8:49:37 PM
Thierry

As announced some time before, I traveled to Munich Monday evening and returned yesterday (Tuesday) evening. These 29 hours were split in 5 hours of driving, 18 hours with Chris Henkel (also known as "o8o8" or "bytesatwork" , who owns an EPro which served as a guinea pig) and his wonderful family (by the way: Chris is a fantastic cook!), and 6 hours of driving back home.

What was the goal of this trip, out of amical reasons?

I brought with me a small circuit board comprising several sub-circuit variants and a rotary switch which allowed to compare directly the effect of these variants on the EPro's volume response. It was an extended version of the much simpler switch board that I installed last March during the Without Touch 3.0 festival in his EPro. The latter had only two switch positions which allowed to switch between the original circuit (R67 = 3.3k) and the Moog modification (the known 3 resistor and 2 diodes network). At that time we had neither the time nor the occasion to do extended measurements and tests out of realizing that the Moog mod worked and smoothed the volume response. There was still a small question mark left since I used 1N4148 diodes (more common in Europe) instead of the 1N914 diodes as Bob Moog had suggested. Both types have identical technical data so that there should be no problem. But Randy George told us the same evening that he had tested both diode types in his EPro (sequentially, not in a direct A-B comparison) and found that the 1N914 would give better results. I could not believe that but planned already to build a test board which would allow to compare both diode type variants in order to see if there was really a difference, or if the "felt" difference resulted only in diode and resistor production tolerance. Some days later this issue was (naturally) discussed on Levnet and Peter Pringle told that he wasn't still satisfied with the modified volume response of his EPro.

Before I tell - finally - what happened yesterday, I'll quickly repeat my theory of operation. It has been based mainly on lots of theory, some guess and a bit of luck, since I do not own an EPro myself and complete schematics are not available:
R67 is part of a circuit which does volume cv processing. This circuit is located between the discriminator stage after the volume oscillator and the internal VCA of the EPro. It seems that the voltage of the volume cv output is not affected by any modification of this circuit. The original circuit (with constant R67) has a linear response. That means that the internal volume cv is strictly proportional to the volume discriminator output. The snappy volume response is an effect due to unlinearity either in the VCA or the volume discriminator circuit. In order to reduce this effect, Bob Moog divided the response curve into 3 zones with different slopes, using the two diodes not only for automatic switching but also for a soft transition between these zones, so that one does neither hear nor feel the bends in the curve. My idea was now to use four or even five zones with still less conductance, hoping that this would give the desired results.

So the prototype which I took to Munich had 5 sub-circuits which can be selected by a rotary switch:

1) The original 3.3k resistance
2) The Bob Moog 3 zones modification, built with 1N4148 diodes
3) The Bob Moog 3 zones modification, built with 1N914 diodes
4) The Thierry Frenkel 4 zones modification
5) The Thierry Frenkel 5 zones modification

The first thing I did after connecting my prototype was to check some EPro internal voltages in order to see if some of my theories were right and if the following tests would make sense. Then I soldered rapidly an "adapter" with a 1/4" jack and plug and about 4" of wire between. This adapter, connected between the audio output of the EPro and the amplifier (for audible feedback), allowed me to connect my pocket oscilloscope. During all tests we
Posted: 5/27/2009 10:21:59 PM
teslatheremin

Thierry!
What a great post. I wish that I knew how to speak, read and write ***,( I can't remember how to spell 'German' in 'German' correctly, I do not want to insult you).
I think that you have discovered a fix to a problem that BM would never have spent any more of 'his' time to repair. Outstanding!
Good Luck!
teslatheremin
Posted: 5/27/2009 11:34:28 PM
fintushel

Brother Frenkel, you angel! Please, put me on your list for a #4 modification kit. I'm getting my soldering iron ready right now. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Tell me how much to pay you, or, if you like, I'll just send you everything I have right away, and you can send me back whatever you feel is appropriate.

Au dessus des etangs, au dessus des valles, des montagnes, des bois, des nuages, des mer, par dela le soleil, par dela les ether. par dela les confins des spheres etoiles, there's our Thierry.

(Forgive my terrible spellings.)
Posted: 5/28/2009 2:05:59 AM
Thierry

Ô frère Fintushel, merci, merci, mais ne trouves-tu pas que ça fait un peu beaucoup de poésie à huit heures du matin? :-)

Anyway, thank you for your order. Please tell me your shipping address by email theremin(at)tfrenkel(dot)com

Production and shipping will start next week.

@teslatheremin: 'Deutsch'? ;-)

Posted: 5/28/2009 8:00:08 AM
kkissinger

Hi Thierry,

I just emailed you and look forward to acquiring this mod.

Thanks for all your work on this.

[i]--Kevin[/i]
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:36:24 AM
Thierry

Following the suggestions of PP and KK I will simplify things. The non-rotary-switch fraction will also get a circuit board which contains all four mod variants. Switching between those will then be done by something like jumpers or dip switches. So the non-carpenters will also have the full choice. I'll think about practical aspects during this weekend.

As told before, production and shipping will start next week. I'm going to buy the needed components on tuesday. So everybody might decide until then between the internally switched or the externally switched version.
Posted: 5/28/2009 2:23:06 PM
Thierry

I used the time when driving from one client to another this afternoon for thinking how to make the best "mass" production and distribution and I found the following solution:

One will still have to solder the "mod connector" on the volume board (2 soldering points, that's all). The circuit board will be the same for all. It will be plugged onto the mod connector as a backpack solution. It will comprise another connector which allows to select the number of zones with one jumper or which allows to connect the (optional) rotary switch instead. So one may do first tests with the rotary switch an if the most convenient solution is found, replace it by the jumper. I think it can not be easier.

Q: Why the "mod connector" instead of soldering the modification directly onto the volume board?
A: The circuit with 4 variants and switching is too complex for being soldered directly onto the volume board such as the Moog mod. So there is a need of a separate circuit board. Its size requires some distance from the volume board. There are two transistors beneath which have a specific height. There is also one linearisation coil of the volume antenna at which we should also keep some distance. So the connector makes it easy to plug my circuit board (and perhaps to replace it in case of later changes) and to keep it at a good distance from the volume board.
Posted: 5/28/2009 5:07:24 PM
Thierry

Following the suggestions of PP and KK I will simplify things. The non-rotary-switch fraction will also get a circuit board which contains all four mod variants. Switching between those will then be done by something like jumpers or dip switches. So the non-carpenters will also have the full choice. I'll think about practical aspects during this weekend.

As told before, production and shipping will start next week. I'm going to buy the needed components on tuesday. So everybody might decide until then between the internally switched or the externally switched version.
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:26:43 PM
teslatheremin

Thierry,
Have you ever heard the term: 'Ugly American'?
I feel really UGLY right now!
Please, please, forgive me.

I hope other than my 'faux pa', (I think that is correct), you will believe that the rest of the post was from the right place.

Especially Good Luck to You,
teslatheremin
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:01:30 PM
Thierry

A small delay due to "life", but I have the first seven EPVM1345 Modules built ready just now and will finally be shipping them next week.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.