Preview Harmonic content - Advice wanted.

Posted: 11/12/2009 10:12:26 PM
Thereminstrel

Very funny, Gordon. Yes, I'd say it's a lot like the centipede's dilemma. I get things done more efficiently when not thinking about them too much. I also have problems with procrastination - and not just unpleasant things - when anything needs to be done I often find myself doing something else instead. And whenever there's a list of several things to do, I usually get nothing done at all, as I can never decide which to do first! I really have true empathy for the sailor in AA Milne's poem: There was an Old Sailor my Grandfather Knew (http://ahistoricality.blogspot.com/2005/08/thursday-verses-old-sailor.html)

Posted: 11/14/2009 12:21:26 AM
dae23

Just my two cents worth:

I would have to side with Thereminstrel and the Centipede when it comes to "intuitive playing". I do believe everything I ever done that involved physical technique was done better when I didn't think about it.

I don't have the ability to play with pitch preview (have not upgraded my Etherwave yet) but I can't imagine having a constant tone buzzing in my ear. I think if I were to play in a situation where I had to come in on the right note without fishing, I would just plug the PP into a tuner.

I guess that may leave the question of the right octave (I would like to think I would be able to tell the right octave by proximity, but I would probably be wrong at the worst time ;)

I could see a setup where one could have PP to a tuner and also have it in their ear but have the ability to shut off the ear tone with a small foot switch being really handy. Easily built yourself I would imagine.

On the harmonic content question. Like I said, I don't play with PP but I find if I play with the theremin "up front" (no backing tracks, or at least quite backing tracks) I like to cut the very top of the E-waves harmonics off - filter knob at about 4 o'clock or so. The louder I crank up the volume on backing tracks - the more it's like playing with a full band, the more I bring in harmonics to "cut through the mix" (if I may use a bad guitar rock phrase).
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:37:43 AM
coalport

Speaking here as the Prophet of the Pitch Preview (nobody used one at all before I started aggressively promoting it in the late 1990's) there has always been some confusion about what a pitch preview does - or is supposed to do - particularly on the part of those who do not use one.

I have written reams on the subject already and I'm not going to bore everyone with more pitch preview proselytizing except to point out a couple of things:

1. The pitch preview should never be any louder than it absolutely has to be in order for your ear to accurately "catch" the tone. If you could hear the volume of my preview, I think you would be surprised at how subtle it is.

2. You cannot be an occasional user of the pitch preview. It requires practice to use it efficiently and should part of your overall theremin technique. The advantage of using it constantly is that your brain will quickly become able to tune it out when you don't need it, and hear it only when it's necessary.

Hearing varies greatly from individual to individual. Do not assume that another is going to hear your preview tone the same way you do. I use a "Pocket Rock-it" matchbox amp which allows me to control both the volume and the timbre of my preview sound. Obviously, with an earbud speaker the size of a pea, low notes will be harder to identify than high ones.

Some people are not bothered either by audible "pitch fishing" or even by off-pitch entrances. They are able to overlook these potholes both in their own theremin playing and in the playing of others. They should not assume, however, that their audiences will do likewise.

The pitch preview gives the same confidence and advantage to a thereminist, that a flashlight gives to someone in a pitch black room.

Posted: 11/14/2009 9:08:25 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"Speaking here as the Prophet of the Pitch Preview" - Coalport[/i]

Peter,
I would really like your advice / opinion regarding this matter - or perhaps a link to some relevant article which could steer me in the 'right' direction.
I intend to include pitch preview as standard in my instruments.. in its most basic form, this addition adds little to the cost, and would double with the function of having headphone monitoring of the Theremin output signal.. so adding basic preview is simply adding a few resistors and control potentiometers..
Playing with the Theremin having this basic preview hed me to expierience the 'problems' I detailed in this thread...
I would like your opinion about whether inclusion of preview tone control is a worthy addition...
Posted: 11/15/2009 7:29:01 AM
coalport

Fred, I would say that if the addition of a preview tone control is going to add to the expense of making the instrument then don't add it. Anyone who wants a tone control can easily add one by running the preview signal through a match box amp.

Make sure, however, that you add a preview volume control. This might seem obvious but, believe it or not, the preview on Bob Moog's Ethervox theremin does not have a volume control. It has a "mix" control where the mixture of "always on" and "volume controlled theremin" can be adjusted but the output of the jack itself has no volume control. Since I use a Pocket Rock-It anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Preview jacks that are added by users (such as those that can be added to the Etherwave and Etherwave Pro theremins) don't have volume controls either and must be used with a mini amp.

Posted: 11/15/2009 8:02:20 AM
coalport

dae23 wrote:

I guess that may leave the question of the right octave (I would like to think I would be able to tell the right octave by proximity, but I would probably be wrong at the worst time ;)

Yes, it would definitely be at the worst time. Probably in front of a thousand people.

I had an interesting experience with the MIDI Ethervox several years ago in a concert in Montreal. I was using the MIDI application, which requires that the Ethervox's output be monitored by the player who must keep an eye on the liquid crystal screen in order to follow parameters, program changes etc. What I discovered, to my horror, was that when I got on stage for the performance, under the glare of several ranks of kliegels and a 5000 watt follow spot, the screen was no longer visible. It was just a little dull grey window in the middle of the instrument.

Lighting, when you are performing on an instrument that needs to be seen in detail, is very important. On a harp, whether it is a full concert harp or a little Irish folk job, all the C strings are red and the F's are blue. This is the standard. Unlike a keyboard, there is no "geography" to harp strings to tell you where you are on the instrument, so a color code is used. Harpists must always make sure that they are not lit in such a way that the string colors are not visible or they will be unable to play.

One of the problems with depending on intuition rather than solid technique (and the certitude of technology) is that when you are performing in public, the stress you are under will scramble that quiet inner knowingness that you were so sure of in the quiet of your living room.

Posted: 11/15/2009 1:34:53 PM
GordonC

[i]One of the problems with depending on intuition rather than solid technique (and the certitude of technology) is that when you are performing in public, the stress you are under will scramble that quiet inner knowingness that you were so sure of in the quiet of your living room.[/i]

I don't see that it needs to be [i]either[/i] intuition [i]or[/i] solid technique. I feel sure that when a good melodic thereminist speaks of playing intuitively they mean with an intuition which is informed by a great deal of disciplined practising to ingrain a solid technique. Much like a practitioner of the martial arts.

One also needs to practice not being rattled by an audience. Particularly as you're going to be playing lead right from the get-go. There aren't that many pieces where the theremin plays a supporting role.
Posted: 11/15/2009 4:21:11 PM
coalport

I agree with you Gordon, but remember that no amount of practice and dedication to the theremin will ever allow you to know with certainty, or reliably intuit, the placement of your opening note in your playing arc. You are obliged either to audibly fish for it, or to use an audio or visual preview.

One of the other advantages of the preview for the dedicated player, is that it allows you to drop your arm during rests without losing your orientation within the playing arc. This increases stamina by improving circulation during long playing sessions.

For the casual weekend theremin hobbyist, and for those artists who play in any one of several genres that do not require pitch accuracy, the preview is probably unnecessary.
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:54:49 PM
GordonC

[i]for those artists who play in any one of several genres that do not require pitch accuracy, the preview is probably unnecessary[/i]

I find it unnecessary for its intended purpose, as you know, but can think of alternate uses for a pre-volume loop signal. For instance, I am currently experimenting with hard-syncing to an external oscillator as a way to extend my palette of waveforms and have come to the conclusion that I need a line-level pitch preview and a volume CV out.
Posted: 11/16/2009 9:13:06 AM
Thereminstrel

coalport>>
Quote: "The pitch preview should never be any louder than it absolutely has to be ... if you could hear the volume of my preview, I think you would be surprised at how subtle it is."

Thanks ,as always, for your helpful input. When I have tried PP I do keep it subtle; it's the only way I can possibly keep it distinct from the externally audible theremin. However, having it too quiet can be difficult as my tinnitus isn't so subtle.

Quote: "You cannot be an occasional user of the pitch preview."

This thought was VERY helpful and made a lot of sense. I think the main reason PP never seems to gel with me is that I have only tried it occasionally and, finding it a disappointment, soon return to playing without it. I also only have it on one theremin (Wavefront which I don't play daily) - whereas the E-Pro I do play daily (if possible) is without. I can see that if a player wishes to embrace pitch-preview, they need to do so whole-heartedly and stick with it in daily practice to make it work at its best. Should I decide that's the best course for me, then I'll certianly do it that way - but for the time being, especially as I have no plans to ever perform in public, I'll stick to playing without PP.

Quote: "Some people are not bothered either by audible "pitch fishing" or even by off-pitch entrances. They are able to overlook these potholes both in their own theremin playing and in the playing of others. They should not assume, however, that their audiences will do likewise. "

I think that's true. However ... (a thought you might not agree with), I wonder if the perfect entrances afforded by PP are slightly offset by a little loss in performance "magic" by making things look too easy. Maybe a brief pitch-fishing demo/explanation to the audience beforehand would impress upon them the difficulites of theremin playing. How would an audience percieve the use of PP? Playing "Devil's Advocate" I could even reverse your comment and wonder: Although a knowledgeable theremin player would not see PP as cheating, perhaps they should not assume that their audiences will do likewise!
Of course, you can't please all the audience all the time. I guess it's down to each performer to determine their priorities, and I do agree that tuneful playing must be high on the list!
And I certainly agree that the stress of a public performance is likely to undermine a player's confidence, and PP would help in that respect.
Thanks again!

Gordon>>
Quote: "I feel sure that when a good melodic thereminist speaks of playing intuitively they mean with an intuition which is informed by a great deal of disciplined practising to ingrain a solid technique."

Although I wouldn't describe myself as a "good melodic thereminist", that is pretty much what I meant. Personally, I do find that after ending one piece, (during a practice session) and even putting my hands down to my sides, I can 7 or 8 times out of 10 go directly to the starting note of the next piece. I guess that, based on practice of technique and improvement of muscle-memory, the brain makes subconscious calculations based on standing position, antenna position, concluding note of previous piece etc - however, this practically NEVER happens if I for even one moment consciously try to calculate where my hand should be to start ... which is why I tend to label it "intuition", even if it's a misnomer.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.