Volume-Only Theremin

Posted: 9/21/2010 7:53:34 AM
GordonC

I've had a fun morning.

A few months ago Thierry modified my etherwave standard so that (amongst other things) I could route an external audio signal through the volume circuitry.

This, it turns out, is a good idea. There are plenty of electronic music making devices that lack a volume control. From the retro stylophone to the latest iPhone app.

So today I sat various devices on top of my etherwave and routed the sound through the volume loop. My conclusion: a stylophone with a volume loop is a significant improvement over a stylophone!

:-)
Posted: 9/21/2010 11:38:22 AM
djpb_designs

Do you think there's a market for a stand along space-controlled volume control? That would be a pretty easy thing to design and build.
Posted: 9/21/2010 12:17:04 PM
GordonC

I think it is possible. For a while Z-Vex made the volume probe (http://www.zvex.com/probe.html) which is essentially the same thing. It is now discontinued in favour of a range of capacitive sensing effects pedals. (Note that the tremolo probe (http://zvex.com/trem.html) is essentially an active volume control - the "theremin" part of the circuit controls an op-amp that distorts "in an interesting way" via a vactrol.)

If it's as easy as you suggest then it would make an interesting home-build project. It would certainly be my choice for a first theremin build, having experienced it first hand.

But... I'm conscious that the quality of the volume field varies as much between different theremins as the linearity of the pitch field - even the great Bob didn't always get it right!
Posted: 9/21/2010 4:39:35 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Oh, Gordon! You beat me to the board (well - by a month or so..)-;

On my bench at the moment is a working PCB giving a linear voltage out (0 to +5V) for capacitive change in distance, and this board can be connected to a plate or rod antenna, and drive VCA's, VCF's and even VCO's..

Final PCB's are being prepared - These are primarily designed for volume and effect control - I plan to release these as dual or quad modules, dual allowing two seperate antennas giving either independent outputs or 2 axis control, and quad giving a full 3d 'e-field' "joystick".

An awful lot of work has gone into this - and the circuit has some features I believe to be unique.. main feature is that no extra bandwidth is employed, and there is no problem of interaction between oscillators - the circuit will 'slave' to the frequency of a variable oscillator of a Theremin, and the volume / effects antennas can never interfere with the pitch or harmonics of the heterodyning Theremin.(they can also be used without a Theremin - any simple square wave signal between 100kHz and 500kHz can drive as many of these modules as one needs.. There will be a simple oscillator module available, and a schematic for a 555 oscillator for those who want to build their own - I will also be providing schematics for a heterodyning Pitch section, and hope to produce heterodyning modules soon)

I wasnt going to leak a squeek about any of this until I rolled into production - I had hoped to do this in time for Lipstadt, but injury has slowed my progress down.. I may not be ready by November.. but should have the modules on sale this year.

I would love to be able to publish details - but (at least for a while) the modules will be encapsulated and the circuit kept tightly under wraps - I have filed a patent application as a client is interested in the technology for other applications, so I am hoping to sell the idea, and just keep the rights to use for musical applications.. The patent will at least proceed to publication (about 18 months from now) and I will only be able to share the idea after this happens.

[i]"That would be a pretty easy thing to design and build." - Don[/i]

Yes, it is.. If one just builds the basic volume antenna circuit as a stand-alone unit, you have it! Problems start as soon as you look at producing this for pitch-only Theremins where one does not know what their operating frequencies are, and the purchaser must adjust the oscillator frequency and filter frequency to avoid interference with the Pitch Theremin.. But, for those happy to adjust the circuit, it is a simple task.

I set about my design with the objective of making a unit which responded to forward- backward (Y), Left-Right (X), and up-down (Z) hand movement - the X-Y vector I mapped to a formant filter, to make a 'singing' Theremin (vowel sounds), and the Z to volume.. Four capacitance antennas are employed for this 'E-Joystick' and I had some problems with interference between these antennas/oscillators and the Theremin - problems I have now overcome.

Fred.

Posted: 9/21/2010 5:42:10 PM
GordonC

[i]I wasnt going to leak a squeek about any of this until I rolled into production[/i]

That's why I didn't mention your 3d sensor, despite being very excited about it.

Glad to hear it is progressing well. :-)
Posted: 9/22/2010 10:09:37 AM
virani

awesome idea !
Posted: 9/23/2010 9:03:33 PM
djpb_designs

Well, Fred's already designed something a whole lot better than what I had in mind!

I look forward to the time when he can provide experimenters kits of his boards.
Posted: 9/24/2010 12:21:58 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"Well, Fred's already designed something a whole lot better than what I had in mind!" - Don[/i]

Don, "better" is an "application specific" word! (LOL).

My design is much more complex than the simple solution of using standard Theremin circuits to build a stand-alone volume unit.. and if one is only after volume control where precise capacitance to voltage output is not required, then it is still a viable (and probably cheaper) option.

I am hoping to get the cost down by having a large production run, and using the modules for lots of applications - but if I did not have this cost reduction route, I doubt that I would sell many.. I have been forced to submit to constraints I have resisted until now - going to SMD for example (required because these are cheaper to get made, and because I need to encapsulate).

I have the prototype built with components I can see - there is one component I cannot get in leaded form, and I lost 4 of these before I managed to solder one to the PCB! - When I say lost, I mean lost - They were being held in my tweezers, and just dissapeared! I was wearing a 'microscope' on my head, and even with this, seeing the bl**dy part to hold it (let alone solder it) was damn near impossible.

I am now laying out a board and all the components will be SMD - I have absolutely no chance of assembling these boards myself - so must get a batch built, and test them - I must get it absolutely right first time, as debugging the module will be virtually impossible, and I cannot afford the cost of doing it again..

I think some DIY constructors will be put off by the fact that they cannot play with the innards (for all practical purposes, the module will be an IC) and there may well be a market for a good old-fashoned volume circuit board people can fiddle with!

And a word of advice to everyone - Dont be put off doing something because you are waiting for me! .. I am not reliable when it comes to time management - I have every intention of making my modules available this year, and things are looking promising for me to be able to achieve this - BUT - I have let a lot of people down in the last couple of years. I was wrong to mention my plans, and wrong to "leak a squeek" about them.. I have one absolute committment - At Hands Off 2011 I will have products for people to play with and buy - I cannot fail to meet this target - if I did, I will be out of business - I have used up every reserve I had and borrowed every penny I can - 2011 is my deadline year - but fortunately, 11 is my lucky number! ;-) [i]no.. I dont really believe in lucky numbers - i'm too scientific for that.. ;-) [/i]

Punchline though, is that for constructing a simple volume controller, my modules will be a more expensive route than what this application needs - The market for a simple capacitive volume controller will go to the lowest cost unit which performs the function - and my modules will be more expensive and would probably be gross 'overkill' if used only for volume control.. It is when one gets to 'higher end' products (requiring 2 or more precise sensors) that my modules will be unbeatable.. A volume controller with stereo panning or VCF control assigned to the X vector, and the 'E-Joystick' using 4 sensors, or a controller using one sensor for volume and one for pitch.. these are among the type of product I am targeting - products where the sensors need to be precise, analogue, stable and absolutely predictable.. and where one can use as many sensors as required without worrying about antenna interaction.

Fred.
Posted: 9/24/2010 11:36:00 AM
djpb_designs

Love your sense of humor, Fred!!

I work in one of those worlds of "invisible parts". Now that soldering 0.1" center connectors requires a magnifying glass for me, the parts are becoming nearly invisible. The next "tweezers" are going to have to be wafer probers!

It is expensive to get things assembled, though.
Posted: 9/24/2010 11:40:22 AM
djpb_designs

@Gordon ...

Those Zvex pedals look very interesting ... might be a nice thing to add to my new amp.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.