Superior to the Ethervox !? TWO

Posted: 11/14/2010 9:45:57 AM
DiggyDog

I have resisted posting to these threads but I must say I will only be satisfied when Horst learns to spell "Theremins". For some reason he believes an apostrophe is needed to pluaralize the word. Has has "Three Theremin's in One"...
Posted: 11/14/2010 10:19:31 AM
Thierry

Maybe that Horst has German parentage...

While in English words take a simple "s" in plural and an apostrophe in the genitive, German grammar tells us to put no apostrophe in either case. So "Franky's Cocktail Bar" should be written "Frankys Cocktail Bar" in German.

But... since the German language is more and more infiltrated by Anglicisms (especially in advertisings), people without deeper linguistic knowledge tend more and more to use the English genitive with apostrophe which is widely called literally "the twit genitive" (der Deppen-Genitiv).
Posted: 11/14/2010 4:38:55 PM
GordonC

apo'strophe cata'strophe

(Also capitalise Theremin the person, but not theremin the instrument.)
Posted: 11/14/2010 8:48:05 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"(Also capitalise Theremin the person, but not theremin the instrument.)" - Gordon. [/i]

Awww... 8-(

Why not the instrument? - The Moog has been another widely (incorrectly) used synonym for "Synthesiser" for years, particularly 70's and 80's.. "moog" would have seemed disrespectful, and capitalisation was called for, as it was the name of the inventor.. Surely there is no error in giving this respect to Theremin, even if not technically needed or perhaps even correct?

Or, perhaps I will use "theremin" when making reference to something which is not a "true" Theremin.. and Theremin when making reference to a "true" Theremin (meeting at least the non-contact pitch and volume requirements)..

Whatever - I wont be changing my habits just to please ye linguistic dictators! 8(~

Fred.

[i]"Has has "Three Theremin's in One"[/i]
What is this damn obsession with the trinity? ;-)

------------------------------------------------

From the holy book of Fritz..
-----------------------------
If it be, without doubt, the uncorrupted holy spawn from the mind of the great Lev (PBUH), then thou shalt capitalise the name of the holy instrument.

If it be a corrupted spawn, but bearing only some semblance to the holy instrument, then thou shalt not capitalise the name of the instrument.

If it be so currupted that it may bring disrepute uppon, or mislead pilgrims away from the quest for a true Theremin, then calling such an instrument either theremin or Theremin is unforgivable blasphemy and there is no means (that I have yet thought of ;-) for atonement or redemption.

A copy of these writings is now in the Aether, retained indestructable
For your instruction, in his name.
-------------------
The Prophet Fritz.

(OMG! ..my mind is going. I can feel it. ... There is no question about it.... can I sing you a song? ... ;-)
Posted: 11/15/2010 3:24:53 AM
GordonC

[i]Why not the instrument?[/i]

Because proper nouns have capitals, but common nouns have not.

Also, insects have antennae, radios have antennas and Theremin's theremins have neither.
Posted: 11/15/2010 6:01:48 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"Why not the instrument?
Because proper nouns have capitals, but common nouns have not.
Also, insects have antennae, radios have antennas and Theremin's theremins have neither." - Gordon [/i]

Damn! - Did you REALLY need to fight dirty and bring up "antennae" ?! ;-)

Yes, OK! You are right! - Had Steinway become the generic term for grand piano, then I suppose that technically one should refer to it as a steinway and not a Steinway.. But, to me, this still feels wrong.. But it does make sense - It does allow easier differentiation between the instrument and the person.

So what am I to do now? Do I disobey the prophet?, abandon my religeon? and - hardest of all, can I break this habit?

I have still not broken the habit of spelling religeon as religion (or is it the other way 'round ?) despite strapping my head to an Atmel programmer for several hours, and many hours of JTAG meditation.

What hope do I have of reprogramming something so deep in my operating system?

Fred.

Oh dear, - I have used the last slot. If anyone wants to make this thread a trinity..

Ok .. Not 'quite' a trinity.. but the OT theme is continued here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=4709&F=1)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.