When you gig, do you bring a back-up theremin?

Posted: 5/14/2011 12:58:05 AM
Jason

I'm curious how many of you bring a back-up theremin when you play gigs? I've heard so many stories of theremins getting knocked over, smashed, stolen, etc. They're getting more popular, but it's not like you can find one to borrow in a pinch as easily as you could borrow a guitar.
Posted: 5/14/2011 11:28:08 AM
Amethyste

I am not gigging yet ( and probably will not for a long time ) but I am not sure i'd like to carry my Wavefront around... I have an Etherwave that I could bring with me as an alternative, but I am not in love with it really. That is a good question.

Would you have a back up?
Posted: 5/14/2011 4:01:45 PM
Thierry

I don't gig, but if I did, I would rather prefer carrying my soldering iron and my spare parts box with me.
Posted: 5/14/2011 4:32:32 PM
GordonC

[i]but it's not like you can find one to borrow in a pinch[/i]

My Kees didn't work at my first gig, so I used an Etherwave that someone had brought along.

The sort of gigs I play at often have a number of electronic musicians also performing, and it is quite feasible that one of them will have an Etherwave amongst their weaponry, but not likely. I got lucky.

I pack the Kees as a backup now that I have an Etherwave too, and I usually drop the Etherwave in the car boot when I go to see a thereminist perform, just in case.
Posted: 5/15/2011 10:47:05 AM
omhoge

Besides being a theremin freak, that's why I got more than one. I do take an extra one if I can, especially for an important venue or paid recording session far enough from home that I couldn't run back in an emergency. My custom EW Standard with pitch preview, the prototype of the etherwave plus, is small enough I'll add it to the load.
It really depends on how I'm getting there, if I'm going by public transport, probably not.

If you have more than one, do you debate which one to take?

My EWPro + Thierry-Mod is my favorite, but sometimes I'll take one of the others.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.