A dilemma

Posted: 2/24/2005 12:46:54 PM
DiggyDog

Given the choice, woul dyou rather upgrade fomr an Etherwave to an Etherway Pro or take a trip to Europe?

What if you could schedule it so that you could attend one of the Theremin workshops in Paris or somewhere?

I think my mind is made up but I wanted to see whatthe consenus is.

Posted: 2/24/2005 12:47:38 PM
DiggyDog

Looking at the above post, Maybe I could just stay home and spend the money on typing lessons....
Posted: 2/24/2005 2:19:09 PM
Jason

Interesting choice... Having recently played a 'Pro and having to return it, I'm probably a bit biased towards the theremin. The 'Pro plays like butter.

Europe may always be there, but as we've learned with the Ethervox, perhaps the 'Pro won't be. It's a lame argument, but something to consider.

Perhaps you could do both and somehow write off the theremin purchase as a continuing education expense if you attend a theremin seminar? :)
Posted: 2/24/2005 3:41:17 PM
DiggyDog

Now you're talkin'!

I am presently scheming to make the E-Pro purchase more palatable to my wife. (Don't get the wrong idea. I wear the pants and make all the decisions. She said I could!)

I like the idea of writing off the seminar. Maybe I could write off the purchase of the new theremin AND the trip. It's not like there are virtuoso thereminists everywhere you turn.
Posted: 2/24/2005 4:11:50 PM
ThereMan

i hate spending money on something i cant touch, so i would go for the theremin
Posted: 2/24/2005 7:11:02 PM
Jason

hehe... that's funny :)
Posted: 2/25/2005 8:16:00 AM
DiggyDog

I thought my mind was made up last night when I had a rehearsal with my band and the Etherwave refused to make any sound at all. I tried everything and I was coming to the conclusion that it was just plain dead.

It was a realy crowded rehearsal space and I think there was just too much interfence.

I had to mount it on a wobbly boom stand at about eye level and even then I couldn't get any low notes out of it.

Oh well, it still works so I can't completely justify getting the Pro.

My other plan was to save all of the money I make from gigging with the Etherwave until I can afford a Pro. So far, I have $80 put away. Do you think they will still be selling them in 2017?
Posted: 2/25/2005 8:43:22 AM
TomFarrell

I've decided all of the following must be true before I get the Pro:

1) I must become able to play my Etherwave Standard decently.

2) I must upgrade to a better amp than I have now.

3) I must have $2000 burning a hole in my pocket, so I can get an Etherwave Pro *and* a CV->MIDI interface.

We'll see if I ever get past step 1. :-)
Posted: 2/25/2005 9:41:29 AM
Jason

That sounds like a very logical approach. I'm personally very glad I bought my Ethervox years ago, because it was at a point in my life where I didn't have much other responsibility :) These days, it'd take an act of Congress to justify a purchase like that again. If I was gigging regularly, it would make more sense, I suppose.

I like the idea of a theremin fund. Contribute a little each time you make money with another theremin, and eventually retire the first one (and keep it around as a backup!).

I'm guessing the 'Pro will have a much longer production run than the Ethervox did, mainly because it's so popular and so much more accessible to musicians. That said, I can't guess how many more years Bob will be building theremins (or anything for that matter).

Also keep in mind that the 'Pro is still really new, so there isn't much of a market for used instruments today. That will probably change over the next year as some people realize their theremin has been sitting around unused or they want to trade it in for a different instrument.

Keep your eyes on eBay :)

Posted: 2/25/2005 12:29:18 PM
Cortex 007

which reminds me,I still haven't heard of an affordable CV-MIDI converter
What I really want (and I have asked MOOG repetitively), are some samples of a pro through a MMOG synth.....if it sounded worthy, I'd buy the new rackmount synth and use play the pro through it. There is a hybrid analog/digital synth "the Evolver" that you can play your theremin through.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.