Theremax wanted

Posted: 4/4/2005 2:18:00 PM
jacubu

Hi
I need a theremin with CV outputs just like the theremax, but I dont have the electronic skills to build one,
Does anybody want to sell me a completed one. Or have any ideas on How I can get one built.

thanks in advance
Posted: 4/4/2005 4:59:05 PM
Etherspiel

There is a person selling professionally built Theremax's on Ebay for $299 USD - that might be the easiest way to get one.

Posted: 4/4/2005 8:16:04 PM
jacubu

That sounds perfect
however I just did a search and got no results, have you got anymore information.
thanks
Posted: 4/4/2005 8:39:29 PM
Etherspiel

Hi -

That's strange - there is a seller who has been listing Theremax's for about a month now. Here are his last two listings which didn't sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1287&item=7309692624&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1287&item=7309687043&rd=1

If you are an Ebay member, you probably could contact him and see if these are still for sale - looks like he does a decent job.

Posted: 4/4/2005 10:01:20 PM
Jason

If you have wood finishing skills, you might be able to save a lot of money if you get someone local to build the kit for you. Do you have a local vocational technical school that teaches electronics? You might be able to find a student who is willing to build it for the experience or for a small fee.
Posted: 4/5/2005 9:30:44 AM
Etherspiel

Good point, Jason -

I actually found the soldering on the Theremax to be the easy part - it just requires a bit of patience. When I put mine together, I organized all the parts into little plastic baggies by type - the other useful item I purchased was a "helping hands" stand with magnifying glass. It was my first electronic kit (!) and I didn't find it difficult. Actually, I'm glad I built it as it taught me how the theremin circuit works!
Posted: 4/5/2005 9:47:07 AM
Jason

My Theremax was my first theremin, so I rushed through the soldering and stuffed it all into the cabinet without even finishing the wood. I was SO excited to get the thing working!

I'm not a huge fan of the cabinet design, but I think the circuit is compact enough that the Theremax lends itself well to stuffing inside an alternate cabinet like an old radio or something.

Good luck!
Posted: 4/5/2005 11:07:47 AM
ThereMan

about the theremax on ebay though...he uses those antennaes that pretty much look like a straightened out hanger, is that the standard theremax antenae or can you get a good one?
Posted: 4/5/2005 11:29:02 AM
Jason

Pretty sure that's the standard one. They're made of thin copper. The pitch antenna can be fun to pull back & let fly for effects, but if you accidentally knock into the theremin, it can be quite a while before the antenna stops vibrating. I highly recommend switching to something like the Etherwave antennas.
Posted: 4/5/2005 1:47:13 PM
Etherspiel

I agree that the cabinet and antennas leave much to be desired - I built a custom cabinet along the lines of an Etherwave, and made Moog-style antennas. The better antennas also have a positive impact on the overall response of the circuit.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.