Any good Ideas? :-)

Posted: 7/12/2005 2:38:08 AM
Enkil

I bought a Theremaniac's theremin wich as you know only has a pitch antenna. I was wondering If there is a way to make it so I can control the volume with my left hand. Maybe by putting in a second antenna or a plate??? In your opinion would the result (If it can be done) be worth it?

Also what sre some of your comments on this Theremin?

Thanks, Enkil :-)
Posted: 7/12/2005 4:38:17 AM
RS Theremin

Build this universal Optical Volume Control Less than $15 usd

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/opticalvolume.htm

I use optical volume for all my sound controls.

Good Luck,

Christopher
Posted: 7/12/2005 1:54:17 PM
DiggyDog

The other option is to get a foot pedal volume control.

It's not as much fun but it will do the trick in a pinch.
Posted: 7/26/2005 3:07:17 AM
Enkil

thanks for he help!!! :)
Posted: 7/30/2005 4:17:43 PM
Thereminless

Enkil,

What do you think of the Theremaniacs theremin...how do you like the sound? About how many "inches per octave" with regards to hand placement (a movement of how many inches towards the antenna gives an octave response, in a treble-clef sort of range)?

Thanks,

Thereminless

I've thought of getting one, and either using a foot pedal, or Christopher's volume unit.

Posted: 8/4/2005 6:34:36 AM
Enkil

I don't realy mind the Theremaniacs theremin to much. It seems to have pretty good range and playability (in my opinion) The notes are spaced alright. The only problem I have is that there is no volume control.
Having no volume control makes it sound a little like their is no moment in betwen a note. Because you have to go all the way up the scale or down it to reach the next desired note. This kinda bites. :) I tried using a volume pedal but it just doesn't do it for me.(but it does work).All in all I think the Theremaniacs theremin is worth the money. The pitch is pretty clear. :) Also please keep in mind that this is my first theremin. I don't realy have anything else to compare it to :) -Enkil
Posted: 8/4/2005 3:30:17 PM
Charlie D

My only suggestion is that you 'clam' all your descending notes and 'shoot' all your high notes. In other words just try to dart between all of them as quickly as possible and that should give the illusion of seperate tones, rather than joined up woo-woohing.
Posted: 8/9/2005 12:48:42 AM
Enkil

I changed the cabinet that my theremin was in. The original was a plastic black box. The new one is a bigger wood box . It might just be my imagination but I swear that it now plays and sounds much better!!! The note control is so much easier. (I have about half an inch distance from note to note) Not to mention that It Looks so much cooler!!! Ill have to get pics for you all!!

Oh yeah.... I plan on building the optical volume control tomorrow. I was wondering??? Does it have a normal guitar type jack??? Also if you could would you please post a picture of a completed volume unit?? :) thanks - Enkil
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:41 PM
omhoge

In terms of snapping and diving larger intervals plus quick note transitions in general, a tune I find great to practice that with is 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight', I'm hooked on the Lebo M version. Also 'I Will Always Love You', and yes what can I say, the Dolly Parton version.
skol - John
Posted: 8/17/2005 1:14:11 AM
Enkil

I made the optical volume control and I found that it works pretty well. I think how ever that it needs to ba a little more sensentive. But al and all its way way better then no volume at all!! So I give it a thumbs up. :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.