I just ordered my first theremin and Im not sure it was a good choice

Posted: 8/2/2005 1:51:57 PM

So I heard about theremins from my friend who talks only good about them. So I decided to look into one, thought it would add a unique sound to the band, so I hit up ebay and saw everything from homemade theremins in lunchboxes to the $1300 ones. I settled on one more in my 15 year old price range. It was about 40 dollars, and Im unsure if it was a wise choice. Its quite small and I think it only has one anntenna if even.

Also, Ive also looked into the 'Build Your Own Theremin' books. Would buying once of those be good if the one I just bought isnt what I really need?
Posted: 8/2/2005 3:25:01 PM
vonbuck

if your looking for adding a unique sound to your band, and that's all you want to do, it shouild be fine, for now.Your not going to be able to coax much in the way of melody on it. Those are mostly good for making noise
As far as building one, I need help even putting my etherwave kits together
Posted: 8/2/2005 4:51:35 PM
user

Most of the schematics floting around for theremins are old and use hard-to-find parts. The Art Harrison schematics are really new and the instructions are very detailed, if a bit geeky. There's a link to them on this site on Learn>Schematics.

However, I don't know how good a theremin design it is.

Does anyone viewing this site know about this?
Posted: 8/6/2005 6:23:36 AM
Charlie D

You might want to check out the schematics at www.theremin.info, another useful (yet completely deserted) theremin website.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.