Ethermusic 2005 - Day 3

Posted: 8/7/2005 1:39:19 AM
Jason

It was another BUSY day at the festival. I got to bed so late last night that I accidentally overslept this morning and missed Lydia Kavina's morning master class! I can't believe it! I arrived in time to watch her teach a course on composing for the theremin. Lydia has a great philosophy on theremin music; she embraces all types of theremin music, including the "spooky" sound (the "Spellbound Concerto", for example). She encouraged the composers in the audience to pay attention to the specific capabilities of the theremin and work with them. During her talk, she demonstrated several specific techniques to illustrate her points. I caught this event on tape and will be uploading it to the site very soon.

Next, Pamelia Kurstin gave a workshop on playing walking basslines on the theremin and on using a looping pedal. She makes it look so effortless! After her talk, I gave it a try. Once you tweak the volume knob to give yourself a very fast response, it's much easier to "pluck" the volume antenna and simulate a string sound. I also caught this session on tape and will be posting it soon.

Next, Wilco Botermans gave an excellent workshop on using effects pedals with the theremin. He also intended to show how to use the theremin as a MIDI controller but ran out of time, so he'll finish it up in the morning. He had a big table FULL of Moogerfooger pedals and walked us through the capabilities of each individually, then together. Wilco is incredibly talented and worked closely with the particular nuances of each effect with a magical touch. Again... I got it on tape!

After Wilco's set, I took a break and walked around Asheville a bit. I took some pictures of a drum circle, and then just stood around on the street answering questions about the theremin when people asked me about the "ThereminHispano.com" shirt I was wearing :) I think a few of them showed up at the concerts tonight, so it was time well spent.

After dinner (Hannah Flanagan's Irish Pub!), I went back to the Orange Peel to catch the end of the documentary "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey" and all of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". The audience was really engaged in both shows, which greatly added to the experience.

Next, Pamelia and Barbez took the stage and rocked out for nearly 2 hours! My ears will definitely be ringing tomorrow, but it was completely worth it. She is an amazing performer in all aspects.

So it's about 1:30am and I'm going to rest up before the final day. I'll catch the rest of Wilco's demo tomorrow morning and then well have some "closing ceremonies," where the winner of the theremin composition contest will be announced. (shhh... I know who it is already - you'll love it!)
Posted: 8/7/2005 10:56:17 PM
chrisacc82

Hey Jason,

sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself on Saturday. I saw a guy wearing a "Theremin Hispano T shirt." Guess that was you. Hope you were able to sample my free offering:

Chris Accornero: Theremin Myths and Memoirs.

I was fortunate enough for a private lesson with Lydia Kavina. What a wonderful teacher! She sought out my particular interest in theremin use, and personally showed me her fingering technique. That was the most awesome part of the day!!!

-Chris A
Posted: 8/8/2005 1:14:06 AM
Andy

This was THE most influential music festival that I have ever attended. To be surrounded with the latest and the greatest of the Theremin world was simply overwhelming to me, as well as most attendees. My wildest expectations were met and exceeded. Every day seemed to be, and was, better than the previous day. This festival had the crème de la crème from the world over as attendees and teachers. Monuments of the industry were there for everyone to share. The knowledge, skill, and ideas that were shared and learned rivaled and surpassed any formal institution of higher learning. From what I heard, every single attendee walked away with something they learned here. I’m not gonna toss names around but this is where you find the very best. I am so stoked looking forward to next year, my calendar is already blocked out for Aug 3-6, 2006. If you missed Ether Music 2005, you do not want to miss Ether Music 2006. There are over 10,000 Theremins in the world and every single one of those thereminists can and will be a better player after attending this festival. I am brand new to Theremin playing and could not ask for a better reception into the world of the Theremin. I did nothing to deserve this and yet I got more than I could ever dream of getting simply by attending it. So I will not miss next year and looking forward to seeing this years' attendees again as well as many new faces and talents next year. Andy
Posted: 8/8/2005 3:41:39 AM
Charlie D

Are they really going to be annual?! Hooray.
Posted: 8/8/2005 12:38:24 PM
Jason

Chris: Yeah, bummed I didn't get to meet you. I took a bunch of pictures, so as soon as I get them all uploaded, please let me know if you see yourself in one so I can put a face with your name :)

I got a copy of your album - thanks very much. I enjoyed listening to it on my drive home yesterday!
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:02:34 AM
Cortex 007

I'd love to have a factual review of the Moogerfooger demo. It's hard to shell out the cash for one without a good demo.
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:43:01 PM
steve/camarilla

after this day all i wanted to do is go home and practice for hours and hours...

did anyone else catch pamelia preforming '4 seasons' with the loop station? that was insane...
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:51:04 PM
Jason

I got it on video! I'm working out arrangements for a streaming video server now, and I'll hopefully have it available to download very soon.

She was playing all the parts of Pachabel's "Canon in D", accompanying herself with the loop station. Steve got it 100% right - it was AMAZING!
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:56:58 PM
omhoge

All Canon parts?!? oh good grief wish I was there.
Post soon buddy and thanks so much for filling us in.
skol - John
Posted: 8/9/2005 10:49:11 PM
Jeff S

Not only that, but you could have seen Lydia, Barbara, and Wilco play "Air on the 'G' String" in three parts with piano accompanyment!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.