The Interoscitor MIDI video theremin

Posted: 9/8/2005 7:52:30 PM
peterkirn

Hey, easier to do would be to replicate this in Max/MSP, using the cross-platform motion tracker obejct cv.jit. It's open source, so I could distribute the results as an application (i.e., you wouldn't need Max/MSP/Jitter to run it)

Anyone out there interested in providing some input as to how this might work? (Jason, you game?) Even just a wish list? I'd be happy to build one.

I think it's funny they try to read flesh color. That seems like a fiddly way of going about it. Unless you're making a statement about race, like the old "flesh" colored Crayola crayons.

Peter @createdigitalmusic
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:20:47 PM
Jason

Hey Peter - welcome to ThereminWorld!

It's funny you bring this up. Around the same time I was learning about theremins & working on our theremin playing robot, I was also doing my Master's thesis on lighting invariant skintone detection for motion tracking systems. Basically, we figured out a cheap hack that made it easier to distinguish skin in color video from other colors/objects. Our plan was to use it as part of a rehabilitation/service robot meant to aid the disabled and elderly. I never really considered using it for a video theremin. I still have the code laying around, and I'm sure today's machines would be able to run the algorithm much faster than the old 90 MHz Pentiums we had at the time.

There was an Amiga video theremin available for download back then too... around 1996/97. I don't recall what it was called, and I think they only tracked up/down in 2 specific regions on screen rather than in/out.

What I'd [i]really[/i] like to see is an augmented reality system for learning theremin. Think of those 3D virtual reality glasses that just overlay graphics on top of see-through lenses rather than fully immerse you in a virtual world. Then you could project a line with specific notes along the path that light up as you hit the perfect tone. I can envision "lesson modules" you purchase that walk you through intervals, help with ear training, etc. Like a modern day "follow the bouncing ball" type thing.

Now we just need a grant... :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.