Turnkey blowing out Etherwave Pros

Posted: 9/23/2005 11:43:14 AM
Charlie D

Well when Mr. Botermans took apart Jessica's Turnkey E'Pro he found that the circuitry had indeed been modified in some way.
Posted: 9/23/2005 12:02:53 PM
hardware_mister

According to my pro's serial number, my theremin suffers from 'snappyness'.

All I can say, is that to me, that's not a defect in any way. Indeed, you will need some practice practice to get used to that curve, but in exchange, you will get a much better technique, and a more profficient instrument.

In fact, now i find much easyier to make 'those' fast passages, good staccatos, walking basses... Expressive playing, of course, needs work, but it's a whole complex phrasing language. It's needed, not to only seek the pitch, but to apply a correct envelope, and the same happens to the volume, where a correct envelope lead to a nice phrasing.

Of course, getting 'faster at all', it's not only a 'volume hand' thing, but also demands a huge improvements over the pitch hand too.

By the way, I completely agree about the headache-levnet. It's all about blah-blah-blah.

Regards.
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:01:57 PM
Charlie D

Which serial number would indicate a snappy instrument? Mine is 092.
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:20:15 PM
unclechristo

thanks for alerting me to this price - I never thought I would ever own an etherwave pro - I just ordered it - coming Tuesday. Bounce bounce...
Turnkey said there were still 5 left...
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:33:37 PM
hardware_mister

By the time I bough my e-pro, (with s/n 291) moog was replying to levnet claimings that there was no snappyness problem in any theremin.

Further modifications might have been done... but actually your theremin is 'younger' that mine.
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:37:55 PM
hardware_mister

And yes... the e-pro is (At least in my case) snappyier than the standard, but calling it 'unplayable' or 'toy playing' it's a bit radical.

Posted: 9/23/2005 1:47:23 PM
vonbuck

I have the snappiness, and yes it's great for fast passages but for me it makes playing expressivly a bitch. I don't like the way it suddenly pops in when your trying to fade in, and vice versa. It's playable and you can work around it, but why shouild I have to because of a design defect.
My Wavefront Classic's volume is so smooth compared to it, so it adds to the difficulty of switching theremins.
Even with what some consider flaws, I love my EPro and the problems are easy fixes. If it wasn't for the complainers and the blah blahing, those of us who want these things fixed would off had to spend extra money we don't have.
Thevolume response is a personel preference, and i understand not noticing the difference, But complaining about the other things, ghost sounds, (bad for recording) breaking stands, faulty power switches, and something new that might be developing are not just nuisance complaints they affect performance.

Andy
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:42:30 PM
hardware_mister

I see, the snappy volume response it's not everyones piece of cake, but after all it's a subjetive question; in which case I defend it as an optimisation and design decission (not a defect).

By the way, I agree the stand is HORRIBLE; it doesn't move a lot, but it does.

If you touch the loop, which is a very probable thing when doing walking basses, then the whole instrument will move until it stabilizes...
It has also happened to me when doing staccatos in higher octaves; and it's horrible, because (like it or not) you will be out of tune for some time.
I don't even want to imagine what that unstabily might lead to in a stage when performing with other musicians.

Let's say it also happens when you touch any of its controls... so stopping its movement after making the needed adjustements it's an unnaceptable must.

Posted: 9/25/2005 1:36:33 PM
jeshum

Quoting Charlie D:
"Well when Mr. Botermans took apart Jessica's Turnkey E'Pro he found that the circuitry had indeed been modified in some way."

1) We saw rev. B printed on the circuit boards. That doesn't say exactly 'what' on the circuit boards was revised. Maybe all the Pro's after the prototype have this revision.
2) I'm quite able to handle a screwdriver and take apart the Pro myself, thank you :-)

I wonder if it could be that the Pro's produced for the British market don't have the snappiness that some Pro's produced for the American market seem to have.

I'm under the impression that not all people in this thread complaining about snappiness have a Turnkey Pro. This muddles the discussion a bit.

--
Jessica
Posted: 9/25/2005 2:52:25 PM
Charlie D

It does indeed. And I apologise Jessica. I just had this vision of you waiting for Wilco to arrive before you both opened the thing.

I am going to perform the modification myself, next weekend if possible. It looks fairly simple. . . . (famous last words)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.