Auto-tune?

Posted: 10/29/2005 5:52:10 AM
theremino

Hi,
I do some studio production work, in the past. In my production, I've used the Antares Auto-Tune to "tune" some off pitch vocals, after recording the singer.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to use the Theremin with the Auto-Tune before?
This would "quantize" the Theremin into discrete pitches, set by the Auto-Tune device, no? ;-)
Posted: 10/29/2005 4:05:39 PM
kkissinger

hmmm... wonder if my harmonizer would do such a thing... of course, it wouldn't sound like a theremin anymore... and well... uh... I have a keyboard on which I can play "quantized" pitches...

which give me an idea... playing keyboard with the right hand and using the volume CV out to control volume...

Well... I am thinking out loud here... I'll try some of this stuff and post an update with the results.
Posted: 11/19/2005 8:54:19 AM
Marble Field

Well, Antares Autotune works on theremin as it would do on a normal vocal track. You can correct cents of a note to make it steady, but extreme settings give a somewhat unnatural result. That also depends on your waveform and brightness settings (if you own an Etherwave), as Autotune tends to give greater tweaking freedom on relatively poor on harmonics material. Which means that, the dullest the sound of the theremin, the biggest freedom you'll have to autotune it without audible processing elements.
Posted: 11/19/2005 10:58:15 AM
theremino

I see. In other words the more "sine wave" it is, the better the auto tune works, eh? ;-)

Posted: 11/19/2005 10:58:16 AM
theremino

I see. In other words the more "sine wave" it is, the better the auto tune works, eh? ;-)

Posted: 11/19/2005 1:40:23 PM
kkissinger

Well, on the CV front...

Playing melody on a keyboard with right hand and controlling volume on the Theremin with the left yields quite an extraordinary result... very "Theremin-like" however with the precision of hitting notes on a keyboard.

I am setting my synth to a continuous waveform and running through a VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier). I am controlling the VCA with the CV output from the Theremin's volume antenna. I am using a bit of portamento to imitate the Theremin's sliding from one note to another.

I will post a sound sample within a couple of days...

Am curious to hear a sample using your auto-tuner.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.