Got a suggestion for Thereminworld?

Posted: 11/4/2005 8:18:12 PM
dulcimoo

OK I have a few suggestions.
1) I want to beable to go back and edit my posts [Opps I CAN do that]
2) I want to spell check them when submitting.
3) How do I add pictures. Not links ... but actuals pictures that show up with the text. I'm writting somthing that will be useless with out one.
Posted: 11/4/2005 10:27:18 PM
Jeff S

But you CAN edit your posts. Jason added this feature some time ago. As long as you're properly registered and logged on, all you need to do is click on the word "edit" above the body of your post next to the time and date.

The only spell checkers I need are my eyes, brain, and a dictionary. And, if I miss something I can always go back and edit it. My grammar is another story.

Jason will have to comment on the pictures, but realize pictures and audio take up a lot of space. Remember, Jason hosts this site out of the kindness of his heart. I'm sure if money was no object, he'd have all of the bells and whistles. Besides, like he's already told us, he has to wait out the rest of this year on the current server before he can upgrade.
Posted: 11/5/2005 12:25:50 AM
Jason

I do like suggestions #2 and #3. I'm at a crossroads with the site... It's all coded in a technology that's several years old and quickly becoming outdated. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time as I need to completely re-write the site. I could go with a standard package (like phpBB for the forums) which would quickly add better forums support, but it would also mean a dramatic re-write of the site. I'm spending much of my free time researching what to do next. I need to decide quickly, as we've already outgrown our bandwidth limits and are nearly out of hosting space too.

I can actually add support for photos fairly easily, but only if they're already hosted on another site. There won't be anything to prevent someone from including "naughty" pictures or absolutely huge pictures though, so we'd have to add a couple of forums moderators to help keep the peace. With the current forums implementation, that's not so easy. I think I'd rather try to bide my time a bit until we can have a first-class forums package all the way.

In the meantime, if you want to write an article or a photo journal, please send me private mail (private messaging is another common request here :) at jason[at]thereminworld.com and I'll be happy to work with you on that.

Cheers, and keep the great suggestions coming!
Posted: 11/5/2005 1:10:38 PM
kkissinger

Jeff, there is a link to Peter's website under "Thereminist's of Note"... I discovered Peter Pringle as a result of visiting this website and linking over to his.

One thing that would be really neat would be an area wherein members could post MIDI files or .mp3 accompiament tracks for other members' use.

Jason, thank you for creating and maintaining this friendly and intelligent website.
Posted: 11/5/2005 2:09:13 PM
Charlie D

I believe that a section like the one you are suggesting already exists, under the 'Repertoire' area of the website.
Posted: 11/5/2005 2:36:16 PM
dulcimoo

OK ... I see the edit thingy. Thanks [somtimes I am kinda slow]. No for the pics ... I cud store them elseware ... I am writting somthing - and I can put the pics elseware ... but I need to have them show up in the text like ...
text text text text
...........pic...........
text text text text or else will be able to understand I think. I send a msg to you jason when I am closer to cowpleating the thing I am writting.
Posted: 11/7/2005 8:26:16 PM
Jason

I'm testing out the image feature in this post.

[img]http://www.thereminworld.com/pics/news/spaceball.jpg[/img]

Looks like it's working. If you have photos already hosted on another website (Flickr, for example), you can point to them with the tags:

[img ]http://www.myhost.com/myimage.jpg[ /img]

Just remember to remove the spaces between the [ and ] characters for it to work.

We'll try this for a little bit. If it becomes a problem, I'll disable the feature again until we can come up with something better.
Posted: 11/8/2005 11:45:58 AM
GordonC

Not working so good on Mac OS X. :-(

Here's what it looks like in Safari...

[img]http://www.charlton.demon.co.uk/grab.jpg[/img]

And Firefox...

[img]http://www.charlton.demon.co.uk/grab2.jpg[/img]

And Internet Explorer (no longer supported for X)

[img]http://www.charlton.demon.co.uk/grab3.jpg[/img]

Gordon
Posted: 11/9/2005 8:54:01 PM
Jason

Cool - thanks for the pics. I'll have to play around with it some more. I'm not specifying a size for the images, so I'm not sure why Safari would be squishing it like that, but I'll see what I can do.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.