theremin virgin!

Posted: 12/28/2005 1:08:04 PM
dulcimoo

The key is to stick with it. Practice the "boaring" stuff a little every day.
Posted: 1/1/2006 11:17:00 AM
hels

phew!!! this theremin lark is a bit tricky eh? after a few attempts and getting fed up (almost tearful) have managed to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!!! As a musician i find it very frustrating - i can seem to tune it too my keyboard with any accuracy at all - any tips!

by the way thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions! i think i'm gonna be asking lots of dumb questions - hope you won't mind too much!

hels
Posted: 1/1/2006 11:48:43 AM
hels

Woo Hoo! Just had major breakthrough and need to share it with someone as boyfriend is out!! Read aerial fingering thread and realised that i have had it all wrong as i i have been trying to control pitch left to right... back and forth is so much easier! Recorded backing track on keyboard and played along and it almost sounded recognisable! Used free program called 'Audacity' to record my efforts on to Pc via line in cable! I'll be making my own CD next!
h
Posted: 1/1/2006 2:01:46 PM
Charlie D

Great! Fantastic news! Keep up the good work, and try not to let go of this enthusiasm!
Posted: 1/1/2006 3:06:02 PM
kkissinger

Hels,

Great news! To play a recognizable melody on the Theremin is a great experience and a great breakthrough. Glad you found the Aerial Fingering Thread useful.

Perhaps you will consider entering the contests: a good way to force one's self to practice and learn new music.
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:56:50 PM
hels

ok help needed please!
i am really struggling to tune my theremin in well. I can get a good enough sound, but very small range or a really 'rough' sound with a bigger range. The pitch knob often gives a good sound but the pitch is inverted (i.e. gets lower towards aerial).. i'mk leaving it to warm up before i start... any suggestions!! I'm sure i'm doing something wrong somewhere!
cheers
h
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:58:50 PM
Jason

Sounds like you might need to open your theremin and re-tune the inductor coils on the main board. Does the Kees theremin manual include instructions on doing this?

I really should get a photo or video tutorial on this process posted for various theremins - it's a very common question.
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:34:29 PM
hels

that sounds a bit scary - no instructions so a tutorial would be fab!
cheers
h
Posted: 1/2/2006 4:28:17 PM
GordonC

Are you running your Kees off a battery?

It may be that the battery is running down.

Posted: 1/2/2006 5:26:27 PM
sinno

Dont open the theremin, just turn the master tuning dial on the back. This will tune the coils inside, and only turn sparingly too along with the pitch dial on the front.
I cant really explain what that does, maybe the others on here can. Jason maybe can explain the coils, cos its all a bit too technical to me.
Good luck.
KevinSinnott (http://www.myspace.com/kevinsinnott)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.