DiggyDog's Progress

Posted: 6/21/2006 9:11:45 AM
DiggyDog

Just an homage to Gordon's thread....

After a long session of overdubs last night we are almost finished with the CD.

In addition to the usual guitars, bass and drums we have a Mini Moog, Ebow, bowed bass, circuit-bent toys and (most importantly) two theremins.

The band name is changing from Barnyard to something else but we don't know what that will be yet.

I will be posting sound samples as soon as they are available for your listening (dis)pleasure.

Right now I am tired after only a couple of hours sleep but that is the sacrifice we make for our art....
Posted: 6/21/2006 2:15:02 PM
omhoge

That sounds so cool! Must keep us posted.
Where are you? (didn't see location in your profile).
Is the band going to play in NYC?
You've got me curious now.
Posted: 6/22/2006 12:46:59 AM
kkissinger

Diggy,

Great idea for your very own "progress" forum.

Your CD looks to be very interesting and fun. Look forward to hearing the audio clips.

"Ah, Bach!" -- hey, I remember that episode of M*A*S*H. :)

-- Kevin
Posted: 6/22/2006 11:02:12 AM
GordonC

Gosh, I've never had my threads homaged before.

DiggyDog, thank you for homaging my thread, it's rather a nice feeling.

Now I'm just off to google to make sure it isn't prison slang for something or other.
Posted: 6/22/2006 2:19:16 PM
DiggyDog

Gordon, While I am sure you would make an excellent cell-mate, I sincerely hope it doesn't mean anything wierd. I'm just not ready to take our relationship to that level...

Posted: 6/22/2006 2:23:34 PM
DiggyDog

Kevin, Omhoge, everyone, I will keep you posted.

We are in North Florida but you never know where we will end up. I would like to do osme festivals and things at some point.

I used to play the Florida FOlk festival every year and I did a few in upstate New York but that was back in the olden days (pre-theremin).

There is not as much melodic theremin playing on this one as I would like but there is theremin on almost every song.

On a few of the songs I do some sweeping, arching type of melodies while the other theremin does "effects" (a.k.a. "noises").

It's a start, though.
Posted: 7/10/2006 8:53:52 AM
DiggyDog

Yesterday we were scheduled to play an afternoon show at the Freebird Live on Jax Beach but two of our members could not make it, turning our four-piece into a duet.

I was thinkning we were going to scrap the whole thing but Jay and I decided to go on anyway.

I am glad we did. We did a couple of the tunes we do as a band (not exactly unplugged but pared-down a bit.)

We also did some improvisational stuff, which gave me a chance to use my newly circuit bent Speak and Spell.

Mosre importantly, I go to play more theremin and do some melodic playing.

It ws a good show and Mrs Diggy and the Little Dog went to go bake on the beach while I played in indoor air-conditioned comfort.

It is all on video so I may post it somewhere for you all to see.

Posted: 7/14/2006 9:08:37 AM
DiggyDog

After last Sunday's my bandmate asked me to take his MicroMoog home with me. It seems he met a nice school teacher with a small car and went home with her. (At least he has his priorities straight.)

Anyway, I have been twiddling around with the Moog and I am having a couple of people over for a space music jam session tomorrow night.

I envision it being something like a drum circle, only with synths...

In addition to the MicroMoog and Etherwave, I will break out my old Yamaha CS-50 analog synth and we will have a Yamaha WX-11 wind controller, A Roland Fantom, and an Alesis Ion.

If all goes well our second session will be in the studio for a one-off side project.

Now, to come up with a really cool band name...
Posted: 7/18/2006 2:50:46 PM
DiggyDog

Well, it was fun but I am not sure how musical the whole thing was.

My two friends do not approach music in quite the abstract way that I do (which is probably a good thing) so they were focused on chord progressions and notes while I was more interested in changin timbres and weaving sounds around a loose central theme.

We will keep at it and see what develops.
Posted: 7/31/2006 8:43:11 AM
DiggyDog

Believe it or not, I still haven't had a chance to check out the video of the little session I had with my friends but one of my band-mates wants to record some versions of his songs with the theremin and my bent Speak and Spell.

If all goes as planned I should have a couple of CD's out at the same time.

I still haven't done anything with the Myspace thing but I might find the time soon to at least get some sounds posted.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.