Theremin and pets

Posted: 1/22/2015 10:25:34 PM
Luna

The video doesn't want to play here.  Can you post a link to YouTube version?

Thanks.

Posted: 1/22/2015 10:53:49 PM
gtc

^ Just click on the YouTube icon bottom right and it will launch YouTube and play the clip.

Posted: 1/23/2015 12:47:47 AM
coalport

Hey! Tom Farrell!! Is your book on shirt making still available? Can it be downloaded? The website tomfarrell.org does not seem to be active.

Yer frend P.P.

Posted: 1/23/2015 3:40:30 PM
Luna

^ Just click on the YouTube icon bottom right and it will launch YouTube and play the clip.

Thanks for introducing me to this tune.  So here's a newbie question (technically nothing to do w/pets) -- how does Peter Pringle achieve the different tonalities with his instrument?  Mixer?  Effects pedals?  High-end theremin to begin with?  Is there a thread somewhere else on this forum about these questions?

thanks!

Posted: 1/23/2015 5:30:28 PM
oldtemecula

Hello Luna,

Peter demonstrated in a video once the various pieces of equipment he uses. The main thing I remember was his use of a Millennium sound processor because I could not afford one. (-'

For me the authentic theremin core sound begins with the vacuum tube which is what you hear when he plays his Hoffman Theremin. I have found most often that people do not talk about how they get their final sound. The way they play is most important but there is more.

Christopher

Posted: 1/24/2015 1:20:01 AM
coalport

Hi Luna, I know all about how that guy produces his sound ‘cuz I’M THAT GUY!

As oldtemecula said, I plug my theremins into a MILLENNIA STT-1 preamp, and feed the output into a ROLAND VS-2400CD digital recording device. No secrets, no hidden ingredients in the recipe. That’s all there is to it! When you watch my videos, you are not hearing the sound as it is picked up by the video camera’s built in microphones (which will invariably give you vastly inferior sound quality). I record the audio live, as I film, then replace the video camera track (using iMovie ’09) with the VS-2400 recorded version.

I now have a new Mac (Yosemite), and Apple has made Final Cut Pro X available for a fraction of the cost of the old Final Cut version. My next videos, with any luck, should be visually superior to my old ones once I get the damn software figgered out!

The problem with all this is that it represents an investment that not everyone is able to afford.

On the other hand, you’re lucky you are not a harpist. A decent concert harp starts at around $25.000.00 and can run as high as $50,000.00 or more! 

Posted: 1/25/2015 6:30:45 PM
Luna

Thanks so much for the information.  I definitely understand the necessity for professional quality instruments and equipment (as someone who saved for years to commission a luthier to build a guitar to my specs); however, as a beginning thereminist, I want to work on my technique and musicianship first.  I am completely new to electronic music, and not a techie at all, so I feel a bit intimidated trying to understand what's involved in getting the sounds/timbres I hear on recordings, or even if it's possible w/my current setup (B3 Deluxe; powered PA speaker, and, alas, 75-year-old bare copper wiring in my house.)

I really appreciate how helpful and friendly this forum is -- especially hearing from professional players is quite encouraging!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.