I need the help of someone smarter than me

Posted: 11/15/2006 1:15:20 AM
buddycraigg

read about 2/3rd the way down to get to the point...

The cabinet of your Etherwave Theremin is made of cabinet grade hardwood that looks good with virtually any wood finish that you care to apply. Here are some suggestions:
*it is extremely important that the finish you choose be non-conductive.
The pigment in many black paints and stains is composed of carbon, which conducts electricity. A finish of this sort will load the Etherwave’s antennas, thereby disabling the instrument. If you want to paint your cabinet black, it’s a good idea to select a lacquer or varnish with a label that lists the pigments materials. The list of ingredients should NOT include carbon or graphite.
END QUOTE.

Now I need the help of someone smarter than me.
Although I lettered in algebra two years in a row, I still flunked chemistry two years in a row, so it’s a very weak topic for me.

The Moog instructions say not to use anything with carbon or graphite.

But every varnish or shellac finish has the warning, “CAUTION! CONTAINS ALIPHATIC HYDROCARBONS”

I already have one coat of the HELMSMAN SPAR URETHANE on the case and plan on 3 or 4 more coats.

Should I just burn the case in a fire and start over?
or will i be ok with this stuff?
Posted: 11/15/2006 1:46:20 AM
TomFarrell

You may wish to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliphatic
Basically, they're cautioning you that it's flammable. Elemental carbon and graphite are bad because they're conductive and could therefore short one antenna to the other or turn the whole case into one big antenna. Hydrocarbons are, basically, oils. It's a different animal.

My Etherwave has a heavy coat of urethane on it and it's just fine.

If you need assurance that you haven't screwed it up, just wait till it's dry and put it on the instrument and try it. If it was going to be a problem, the instrument would no longer function. As I recall, Peter Pringle had this problem when he built his Etherwave, because he used a graphite based paint. He sanded it off and everything was fine again.
Posted: 11/15/2006 3:16:09 AM
buddycraigg

[b]TomFarrell[/b]
[i]You may wish to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliphatic[/i]

you read the part about where i got an F in that class right? me reading that was like me asking the wife to do our taxes.
Posted: 11/15/2006 2:58:31 PM
DiggyDog

Buddy, you've convinced me!

My next theremin will not be a kit.....
Posted: 11/15/2006 3:35:01 PM
buddycraigg

that really wasn't my intention. i'm almost finished with the build up thread. i just have to finish typing the second half of the instructions and rearrange the pics. then you can see what it's like. the actual "put it together" part goes fairly painlessly.
Posted: 11/17/2006 4:12:01 AM
Etherdave

If it's any help, I coated my Theremax cabinet with Varathane, and have had no problems with the antennas. Any problems caused by antenna interaction with one's choice of cabinetry (and here we're talking about cabinets made of metal, not just covered in electro-conductive paint) can be solved by using non-conductive (ie. plastic) mounting hardware or spacers/grommets.
Posted: 11/17/2006 4:33:29 PM
buddycraigg

i know i could isolate the antennas with plastic pipe fittins, but i thought it would still interfer with the playablity because of this statement in the instructions.
"Note: the cover itself adds some capacitance to the antennas. Therefore, putting the cover in place will change the tuning of the Etherwave. You may find it necessary to re-adjust the front panel PITCH and VOLUME tuning knobs for proper response."

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.