My God, I left my theremin on overnight!

Posted: 3/25/2007 8:56:28 AM
Thomas Grillo

When I came into the studio thismorning, I noticed the red light on my E pro was on. That means I left my poor E pro on all night. It's still working, but I hope I've not done any harm to it. I know one of you guys leaves his standard on 24x7. I don't know how this affects a high powered instrument like the pro.
Posted: 3/25/2007 9:12:28 AM
Thomas Grillo

...As if practicing 9 to 10 hours a day, every day don't put wear and tear on a theremin. Go figure.
Posted: 3/25/2007 9:25:47 AM
Alexander

I once left mine on for three days straight by accident. No harm done.
Posted: 3/25/2007 10:11:48 AM
vonbuck

I leave my Wavefront on all the time, it needs a warm up time. i want it ready to play whe i'm ready. I left the Pro on for a few days once, and haven't noticed any troublles. there aren't any tubes to worry about, all transitors so i wouldn't worry

Andy
Posted: 3/25/2007 10:45:38 AM
Brian R

Probably only an issue if you've also left your amp on, and you walk past it in the middle of the night...
Posted: 3/25/2007 12:20:17 PM
Thomas Grillo

Well, that did happen to my poor mother while she was trying to help find my missplaced glasses. I'd left the theremin, and amp on, and back then I didn't know about flipping the audio cord over the volume antenna to put the standard in standby.

Whoopsy! Did that ever go over like a lead balloon!
Posted: 3/26/2007 9:11:33 AM
DiggyDog

I left my E Standard on all night once.

The next morning I heard this low growling noise and it took me a few minutes to figure out where it was coming from.

No harm came from it.
Posted: 3/26/2007 10:06:22 AM
Thomas Grillo

You think that's something, try coming home one day, and the neighbors are standing around the house trying to figure out what that very loud, low home is eminating from the house.

I've evin been there to witness the start of the effect as it started making a knocking sound in the 3 or 4 Hz range. Drove my dog nuts thinking someone was knocking on the door.

I guess that's because the magnetic fields have either expanded, or contracted enough to where a nearby conductive, and grounded object is now in the pluss or minus zones of the fields.
Posted: 3/26/2007 3:46:48 PM
DiggyDog

Exactly, the field drifts a bit after a while.
Posted: 3/26/2007 8:10:32 PM
regmtait

Leaving the theremin on:

I once did this improv gig with Damo Suzuki from Can, along with a bunch of us local musicians. It was a two hour continuous set. Damo Susuki encouraged anyone to leave the stage if we needed a break.

It very unconfortable as everyone was sitting down around the stage, apart from myself and this living legend who was standing right next to me.

After an hour and a half I needed a break from making waily noises. I was in the loo when I heard this low rumbling growl, and noticed and the whole venue seemed to be vibrating. I then realised to my horror that I left the intrument on and Damo was entering it's space as he was moving about. I dashed to Jim the Hull Adelphi Sound Guy in a panicky way and asked him to turn it down.

Not for long though.

I do love the Etherwave but reckon it should have a mute switch on it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.