Holography demonstration on youtube...

Posted: 4/8/2007 11:34:51 PM
Thomas Grillo

If anyone's interested in how holograms are made, I just posted a video I shot 10 years ago back in 97 in my home studio lab (when I still had one).

The video was featured on Public Access for a while in Jackson, Mississippi. There's more of it, but I have to upload it in segments due to youtube's file size limitations. The rest which is still to be posted later, was shot in the tv studio.

The link is youtube.com/thomasgrillo

I thaught I'd lost the tape in a burglary until just yesterday.

Just thaught the technically minded amung us might enjoy a holo demo.

Well, gotta get back to the theremin, now.
Posted: 4/9/2007 8:34:42 AM
DiggyDog

Sounds quite nerdy and fun at the same time.

When I was a kid I read some books about holograms and lasers and I wanted to make my own.

Mom wouldn't spring for the $87.00 laser kit and then I discovered girls...

Now that I am a bit older and the girls aren't as interested (and the wife wouldb't allow me to do anything about it if they were) I can afford to be nerdy again, hence my theremin playing...

Of course, I will have to wait until I get home to check out the video since You Tube is so sunversive that my IT guys have it blocked here at work.
Posted: 4/9/2007 8:58:44 AM
zakiman

Wow thats cool.
Posted: 4/9/2007 9:19:55 AM
Thomas Grillo

Only 87 bucks for a kit? I think I may have had that little kit from Metrologic. It came with a small 2 miliwatt laser, optics, and a few sheets of film. Edmund Scientific sold it. I think they still do.

The big laser I show measured 3 and a half feet long, put out a 40 mw beam, and cost 6 thousand. That was nearly 15 years ago when I got it. Now, you can get the same output power from a 100 dollar diode laser that fits in your pocket.

It really is both nerdy, and fun at the same time.
Posted: 4/10/2007 8:15:14 AM
DiggyDog

This was back in the late 70's so I don't know what the kit would be now.

Who knew back then that we would all have lasers in our houses and cars, gorcery stores and even sccasionally in our pockets?

And don't take the "nerdy" comment the wron way. It was definitely not meant to be insulting or anything.

If it were I would be insulting myself as well since I really dig a lot of nerdy things.

One of the books I read had plans for a stand to clamp everythng to to keep it all from moving around.

Posted: 4/10/2007 9:12:03 AM
Thomas Grillo

No insult interpreted. I use the term "nerdy" quite a bit when talking about my technoidian activities, but in a lighthearted manner.

I tried to upload to ourmedia.org, a huge 400 meg file containing the full holography program from which the youtube excerpt was posted, but the stupid uploader program stopped responding right after the last meg of file was uploaded, so the whole thing got canceled. I'll try again later.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.