Bill Gates interupts motion picture soundtrack rehearsal! Again!

Posted: 6/28/2007 10:04:25 AM
Thomas Grillo

Ignore this thread, or read at your own risk. It's complete, and utter nonsense, and a complete waste of time for which I apologize.

Just ignore the ravings of an upset theremin vertuoso... ;)

Well, not really, anyway. But Jeez this really creams my puff, but good! I just had to post this. This will show me not to trust a PC as an MP3 player! So, there I am, in the middle of rehearsing music for the soundtrack score to an upcoming motion picture, and right at the most climactic part of the work's finally, WINDBLOWS WISHTA decides it's time to shutdown, and restart for updates to go into affect! I think the customers at a nearby restaurant heared me yell "DID I ASK YOU TO SHUT DOWN?!" Can you just imagin what it's like to be plying along with the mp3 (sightreading music's not possible with my vision), and suddenly, ther's the sound of windblows wishta shutting down, all by it's little self. Aint that cute? That SUCKS!
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:32:59 AM
GordonC

Did you leave something leaning against the keyboard for ten seconds by accident? Perhaps resting on the Windows key and the letter E?

Apparently (http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/06/how_to_crash_wi.html) that's all it takes to crash Vista.

Posted: 6/28/2007 10:50:17 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Gordon, Nope, it just did it all by it's self. As soon as I figure out where they moved the functionality that does that, it's getting turned off right away.
Posted: 6/28/2007 10:53:42 AM
Thomas Grillo

I'm so glad I'm not a technician anymore, that would drive me nuts just knowing anyone can crash Wishta that easilly.

I love my theremin more, and more each day!
Posted: 6/28/2007 11:48:43 AM
kkissinger

A better title for this thread would be:

"My computer is working as designed."

**sigh**
Posted: 6/28/2007 12:19:34 PM
Thomas Grillo

That is so true Kevin. ;)
Posted: 6/28/2007 6:49:31 PM
omhoge

Please try
Go to desktop > right click on "my computer" (or the equivalent if you've renamed it) > Properties > Automatic Updates > Select "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them."
or Select "Turn off Automatic Updates".
Then you should be fine.
Bill Gates wasn't actually involved really except in the most remote way.

If that's not it try the forums at Microsoft and MSDN, there's a lot of info there for PC support.
If worse comes to worse disconnect from the internet for the time needed.

hth.
Posted: 6/28/2007 7:32:30 PM
Thomas Grillo

Done. Thanks.

I feel sooo much better, now.
Posted: 6/28/2007 7:42:02 PM
Thomas Grillo

Oh, they moved it to start/control panel/system maintenance/windows updates.

That's why I don't work on systems anymore.

Well, gotta get back to rehearsal now.

thanks guys.
Posted: 8/27/2007 3:22:02 PM
Aidy

remember you're always free to switch to Linux :D

'kay it sucks that my first post is kindof spam :(

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.