How to set up a Foundation?

Posted: 8/20/2007 12:15:53 PM
omhoge

Guess I'm at a point in my life and depth of my love for the Theremin and it's culture that I'm starting to day-dream of setting up some sort of ongoing mechanism for it's support.
I don't have much, but would love to see what little I do have continue to help the Theremin.

If anyone has tips or info. on how to set up a foundation during or after one's life I'd really appreciate hearing it.
Posted: 8/20/2007 7:25:17 PM
Thomas Grillo

First, you'll need arts, and education grants, and local, as well as other forms of sponsorships.

Second, you'll want to determin wheather to make theremin foundation a nonproffit organization which benifits others, and or provides for the up-keep of historically important instruments, and or theremin related training scholarships, or all of the above, as SPEBSQSA does, or make it a revenue earning organization.

How wide spread dow you want the foundation? Do you want chaptors to form throught the U.S., and or internationally?

A set of gaols, and bylaws which govern the organization will eventually be called for.

In SPEBSQSA, there are local level chaptor performances, and functions, as well as national level competitions, conventions, and anual training classes for officer level, and chorus level participation, known as COTS (chorus officer training school). These training programs are designed to train directors, as well as support related levels of office relating to the operation of local, and national level organizations. I've been to quite a few in my time.

Both SPEBSQSA, and The New York theremin society sounds like great groups to consult about further advice on forming a theremin foundation.

I'd certainly be willing to pay dues if I knew they would go to keep a theremin museum going somewhere, or help train a serious thereminist, or bring someone up to speed as an instructor, or help someone keep an vintage theremin going.

This is not something to take lightly, nor is it going to be an easy thing to start, let alone keep going, but I think it's time has finally come.

I wish you, or whomever attempts to bring this dream into the realm of reality all the best luck with such a venture.
Posted: 8/21/2007 7:44:49 PM
GordonC

I'd probably talk to the folks at the Bob Moog Memorial Foundation (http://www.moogfoundation.org/) about the process. I'd also take legal and business counsel early on.

I do disagree with Thomas's comment that a set of goals will eventually be called for. I think the first priority is to have a very clear and specific vision of what it is that you intend the foundation to achieve, and confidence that this is the right thing to do and that it is viable.

Oh, and never forget it is a business, first and foremost. Charities experience problems because they forget this simple fact and naively start imagining that people will be nice to them because they're a lovely charity and not do them over six ways to Sunday.
Posted: 8/21/2007 11:38:16 PM
buddy_craigg

[i]do them over six ways to Sunday.[/i]
i haven't been able to do that since i was in my mid 20's

but back to the topic...
i signed my name on the LLC papers that made kcfog.org come to life.

we need an accountant to tell us what to do

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.