Navrags progress (or lack of same...)

Posted: 11/15/2007 5:11:29 PM
Navrag

Because RensD challenged me... and also because I came in late on the Halloween suggestions thread, suggesting "She Moved Through The Fair" because it is a neat little ghost story, and is Irish (as is Halloween), I thought I should post this..

One week and a day of my theremin life... Go easy &^/

She Moved Through The Fair (http://www.box.net/shared/urtdllc8ek)
Posted: 11/15/2007 7:12:12 PM
teslatheremin

Navrags,
This seems to be a dead link to me here in the U.S. of A.. I really wished to hear you play that ditty!

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 11/15/2007 8:03:35 PM
Navrag

I have redone it.. Though maybe your computer is trying to protect your ears....
Posted: 11/16/2007 4:05:43 AM
Thereminator

Yeah!
Hey Navrags, I'm happy to have a sparring partner. :-D

For me the link is dead to.
Please retry to make it available.
I would very much like to hear.
(I've got earplugs. :-)

Friendly greetings
Rens
Posted: 11/16/2007 5:01:03 AM
Navrag

I don't know why that is causing problems.. It works fine when I click on it..

The URL is

http://www.box.net/shared/urtdllc8ek

Hopefully that will work....
Posted: 11/16/2007 6:07:50 AM
Thereminator

Yep, this works.
(And suddenly, the first link works to....?)

At first, I thought: "Oke, the music starts, now .... when is he going to kick in with his playing?" But, that WAS you.

You are much better than I am.
Damn.... I hate you.
:-D :-) :-D
Posted: 11/16/2007 6:36:06 AM
Navrag

Well without wanting to get into a mutual admiration thing.. but it was your buzz and enthusiasm that got my ass into gear. And of course all the great players here are so supportive and helpful gave me the nerve to put that up in the first place...

Of course, I probably can't ever play it again.. That is the Jazz musician in me.. Never play anything the same way twice...
Posted: 11/16/2007 8:47:27 AM
Thereminator

Aha! You have a bit of an advantage.
You ARE a musician....
Oke. You are forgiven. (I have NO musical background :-( what so ever.)

And you dared to put it up.
Great! I like that fact. And it sounds good to.
And i myself like to have a sparring partner. It keeps me going to. :-)

What strikes me, it that you already have a stable pitch on the long tones.
That is one of the problems for me. I'm not stable at all. I have so search for the tones, and if I have one, I float around a bit.

I am a uninitiated one, but I think you did very well.
Now let's hear what the 'big boys' have to say. :-)

Rens
Posted: 11/16/2007 10:53:22 AM
Alexander

I think it's a very good job for a week of playing. Overall it's in need of a lot of improvement but from the sound of your playing that'll probably come with time. There are a lot of bum notes in there, but at least you're holding them rather steadily - the question is whether you can hear those bum notes or not. I hear them better after what is approaching two years of playing, but not so much first off. Charlie Draper thinks that your sense of pitch cannot learn or develop, but I think he's wrong; ears can be trained, in fact it's one of the things you really notice about experienced sound engineers and singers. "Talent" - god given gift - may be real, but it is an advantage as opposed to a golden ticket.

One thing that bugs me a little bit about it is the dynamics - the notes are very on/off/on/off. Try playing with volume settings a little bit and being gentler with your volume hand, practice those swells :)

One thing I really like about it is the use of portamento, which while a bit rich is very smooth and well-executed.

I think it's a good first effort, you've definitely got the right idea - I don't know the song, though!
Posted: 11/16/2007 11:10:50 AM
Navrag

I found Kevin Kissinger's videos on his web site very helpful for getting more accurate intonation.

I have to say that my guitar playing experience hasn't really helped my theremin playing, but the opposite is actually true. I am now thinking much more about intervals while playing the guitar, rather than patterns (which is a trap a lot of guitarists fall into..). Unfortunately there aren't any mother of pearl fret markers on the theremin..

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.