Nasty fuzz effect for theremin

Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:27 PM
mollydad

Dear All,

I asked the question to Gordon about the output jack resistor modification to my Ehterwave plus because I'm exploring the basic parameters I can vary which will affect the tone. I don't really want to add anything else to the signal path until I first find out what I can do with the ESPE01 mod and variations in the gain structure. Does anyone here have a take on my friend Allen's suggestion that my tube amp should be run a little more opened up in order to improve tone?

@ Coalport...I really like your performance of Un Bel Di on your website...You mention that you also play pedal steel...Have you ever played pedal steel lines on one of your theremins?  I live in Nashville, TN,  where many fine pedal steel guitarists record, and though I mostly have avoided contemporary country music in my past, I have been playing along with some country tunes on the radio as part of my practice sessions, since the progressions are usually somewhat predictable,  and I can use the changes to work on my pitch adjustment speed in real time.  It seems to me that the theremin could pretty easily fit into the same sonic space usually occupied by the pedal steel (though in your case, obviously, you could just play these lines ON pedal steel guitar).  I'm definitely a newbie, but I'm probably more of a WMEMTN..White Male Eclectic Musician Theremin Newbie...maybe pronounced "wimmemten"...jcn

Posted: 1/6/2012 12:25:22 AM
coalport

Hi WMEMTN, 

I had a video on YT where I played both the theremin and the pedal steel, but I deleted it some time ago. It was a version of the old Everly Bros. hit LET IT BE ME and was supposed to have been a vocal/theremin duet. It was a heap of fun to do, but it was hoaky. 

Strange you should mention the pedal steel at this time because last week I posted a video of a theremin/guqin duet to YouTube. The guqin is the ancestor of the pedal steel. It is a seven stringed Chinese zither and my interest in it prompted me to get out my old Fessenden pedal steel and start playing again. While I am not a real fan of either Country/Western or Hawaiian music (the two musical genres in which the pedal steel is at home) there are a number of fine musicians who are now using the pedal steel in more cutting-edge, contemporary styles. You have to be REALLLLLLLLY careful if you want to try steeling in these more unusual idioms. One wrong lick and you'll sound like a cowboy or a hula dancer!! If you stay as far away as possible from the cliched riffs, you can do some really interesting things. 

What originally attracted me to the pedal steel is that it is the only musical instrument that can play harmonies that "melt" or "slide" into one another. The lap steel can do certain things, but it is far more limited than the pedal steel. 

If you haven't caught this demo from pedal steel player Robert Randolph, check it out. It is AWESOME. He could give any thereminist a run for his/her money using his ebow on the fifth string. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPjfqS5NvCY#t=10m30s

BTW, I'm working on a composition for pedal steel & theremin. So far, it's entirely in my head.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.