A better case?

Posted: 1/5/2012 9:18:18 PM
GordonC

Amethyse wrote "What are we supposed to look at then?"

It's a dilemma, isn't it. As serious, po-faced musicians we want our audience to focus on the music, not the visuals, but we chose an instrument with a powerful visual aspect - the musician doesn't touch it! So people are going to look whether we like it or not. Which means we should consider what they are looking at, and how it reinforces our music. For me this is simple - I'm pretty much old-school Industrial slash DIY ethic, so the more battered and used my etherwave looks the better. Which is convenient. I like convenient. ;-)

But perhaps you have a strong 50's retro vibe going on. In which case you want this case:

http://www.pureimaginationco.com/theremin.html

Or if you're an old hoofer from the music halls who gives spirited performances:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8666613@N04/2263367827/in/set-72157603907186727/

And of course there are those amongst us who defy explanation and require the services of a taxidermist:

http://www.nervoussquirrel.com/badgermin.html

I could list loads more interesting enclosures, but three is enough for now.

You know, for someone who is so inclined, there is probably a coffee table book to be written; "A Pictorial History of Customised Theremins". :-)

Posted: 1/6/2012 12:07:33 PM
Amethyste

THe poor Badger... It's kind of gross actually.. the nails are a nasty touch lol

Posted: 1/7/2012 11:16:56 AM
coalport

GordonC wrote: "we want our audience to focus on the music, not the visuals, but we chose an instrument with a powerful visual aspect .....people are going to look whether we like it or not."

People have often pointed out that when you play the theremin your audience NEEDS to see it. Part of the theremin mystique is watching the "magic" of space control. There is another aspect to the whole question that most thereminists would probably prefer not to mention. The visual novelty of space control is interesting enough to carry a performance that, if it were audio only, would send the audience scrambling for the exits.

The challenge of creating a unique design for a theremin cabinet is to make something that is functional and original but is not so outrageously overdone (like the badger) that it takes attention away from the thereminist and away from the music. 

I've seen theremin designs with flashing lights, moving automatons, and fun fur blowing in the wind but they are not only a distraction, they tend to trash whatever attempt the thereminist is making at genuine musical expression. 

How seriously would we take Yoyo Ma if he came out and played a cello that was designed like the front end grill of a Mack truck (complete with headlights, of course...)?

On the other hand, an outrageous theremin cabinet design may be just the thing for a thereminist whose playing can't stand up on its own. 

Posted: 1/8/2012 12:20:48 PM
GordonC

On the other hand, an outrageous theremin cabinet design may be just the thing for a thereminist whose playing can't stand up on its own. 

But a striking enclosure does not always imply poor musical skills...

Posted: 2/26/2012 7:37:23 PM
Jason

Ugh, the Badger theremin is all over the Internets today.  That's currently my vote for "worst thereminized thing ever".  I hope the meme ends quickly.  "Cat plays theremin" seems to be quieting now... it's time for the badgermin to follow.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.