Roll Call - 2012

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:04:06 AM
Jason

Each year, we start a new Roll Call thread for new site members to introduce themselves.  Whether you're new to the theremin or just new to the site, please take a moment to say hi and let us know a bit about you.  What brought you here?  How did you discover the theremin (or did it discover you?)  What are you hoping to learn from our community? 

Thanks for reading!

Posted: 1/7/2012 3:17:51 PM
excalibur

Hi,

Im a newbie, never played Theremin yet and dont even have one.

Im a dj and provide sound liighting services for a space rock band and looking at getting more involved with them and alos at open mic nights, I want to take something different along to them.

Im Adam btw

Posted: 1/7/2012 6:04:57 PM
Jason

Welcome to Theremin World!  Let us know if you have any questions about various models of theremins as you decide which one to buy.

Posted: 1/8/2012 12:20:53 AM
coalport

And remember the words of the late, great Clara Rockmore: "The most important thing for beginner thereminists is to know where they want to end up before they start out."

This might seem like a rather obvious truism, but it's amazing how many people make bad decisions about what sort of theremin to buy, and how to go about learning to play it, because they really don't know where they want to go with the instrument. They end up buying a toy, fiddling around with it for a month or so, losing interest, and putting the thing on ebay.

Posted: 1/11/2012 2:41:50 AM
omhoge

Welcome excalibur, hope we can help get you hooked on this crazy theremin.  Yeah you can use it as a MIDI or voltage controller for all sorts of things.  

Posted: 1/23/2012 1:31:01 AM
bcrawford

Greetings thereminworld.

My first musical instrument is a new (to me) Etherwave.  My cat believes that I purchased it specifically to torture him.  I am not yet convinced that he is wrong about that.

Over the next while, I hope to be able to change this caterwauling that I am currently capable of into some recognizable music.  Ill be watching this site regularly for helpful info for complete newbies, but would appreciate any hints/tips/links to tutorials that you all care to share.

cheers,

bc

Posted: 1/23/2012 11:43:04 AM
Amethyste

Hello there Bcrawford :)

Welcome to TW! You can start by searching threads about specifics you are looking for, there are so much information here :) I started by totorials by Thomas Grillo on Youtube. He also has a DVD on how to play the theremin and so does Peter Pringle on his website. Both are good DVDs to have. It all depends "which method" you'd prefer to play. Look on YT for Pamelia Kurstin, Carolina Eyck, Thomas Grillo and Peter pringle etc to find a method that will most like work for you then get the teaching material you need to learn. A good technique will allow you to play a wide repertoire.

My cats react the same way as your lol... They are starting to come around and I have been at the theremin for 9 months now... It all takes time :)

Posted: 1/23/2012 3:46:40 PM
Jason

Also check out Kip Rosser's video tutorials on YT or on his site:  http://www.kiprosser.com

Posted: 1/23/2012 6:08:49 PM
mollydad

Welcome, Bcrawford...

My dog Molly will finally come around sometimes when I'm practicing, so maybe I'm making progress...I feel I've shot up from godawful horrible to mediocre in my playing skills...There are definitely some good tips at the sites listed above, as well as in some of the other threads on this site...Just be persistent, and your effort will be rewarded....maybe your cat will even hang out near you when you're playing sometime soon...jcn

Posted: 1/24/2012 1:08:16 AM
coalport

Remember folks: Never take any advice on anything related to the theremin from anyone whose theremin playing you don't like or have never heard. Theremin methods differ in a variety of ways that are not immediately obvious to newbies, and these differences will ultimately determine what you are going to sound like. 

I have two new collie/labrador retriever mix pups that I got just before Christmas. Cutest damn things you ever did see! They are now four months old and they live in a house with six theremins but they have never heard one played. 

That may change soon, and I dread the possible reaction. What'll I do if they decide to sing along? I'd have to do a video of the puppy/theremin choir.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.