possibly a new theremin model?

Posted: 1/9/2012 8:21:33 PM
omhoge

There's a theremin called Subscope that's been showing up in the news feeds and a couple folks have asked about it.  Apparently it was unvieled at Hands Off 2011.

Does anyone know about this?  It seemed like exciting news and I wanted to post about it here, but now I'm not sure.  Here is the URL that came in the Google news alert: http://subscope.de/theremin.html 

Thanks everyone!

Posted: 1/9/2012 8:50:02 PM
DOMINIK

It is not too new. Yes - 2011 i sent it to Hands Off. Some words about it in this thread.

Posted: 1/10/2012 1:11:12 AM
Jason

New or not, your designs are gorgeous!  I like what you're doing with the shape of the volume antenna - it's reminiscent of the original "double-bend" but with your own take.  Well done!

Posted: 1/10/2012 4:10:05 AM
DOMINIK

Thanks for compliments. The open loop is copied from the Tvox though.

Posted: 1/10/2012 11:15:29 AM
coalport

The Subscope theremins are very attractive in their pure, unencumbered simplicity of design. The only one I didn't like was the plastic disc with the lid. It was probably intended to look like a flying saucer, but to me it looks exactly like an outdoor BBQ I used to have years ago!

Unfortunately, the mp3 sound samples of the various models have been made by someone who can't play the instrument. It is a mistake to leave what COULD be done on one of these instruments to people's musical imaginations because a musical imagination is something very few people have. 

Dominik, you should send one of those instruments to that Peter Pringle guy, and have him do a killer video with it.  ???.....

Posted: 1/10/2012 11:44:30 AM
Amethyste

Dominik does excellent work! What attracted me to his theremin was the ease of carrying one to a gig or places... My Wavefront is a beast to move around. Looks like one like his would fit in a backpack and you are on your merry way!

Posted: 1/10/2012 3:46:37 PM
Amethyste

coalport said:

" It is a mistake to leave what COULD be done on one of these instruments to people's musical imaginations because a musical imagination is something very few people have.'

I am astounded at how many people that have degrees in music composing and still cannot compose/create anything musical that invoke feelings. I have a friend of mine who got a degree in voice and hmmmm... let's leave it at that.

Posted: 1/11/2012 12:10:28 AM
DOMINIK

Thanks for compliments and offering. Wat den een sien Uhl is den annern sien Nachtigall. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.