... What? The end of the song already?

Posted: 2/22/2012 3:18:48 PM
Amethyste

Have you ever been so focused in what you are doing at the theremin, that somehow, you are not really "there"? Then the end of the song arrives and you are wondering how you got there? Just like when you drive home from work and don't really recall how you got into your driveway... (hoping you didn't kill anyone in the process).

It's happening to me more and more and unfortunately, I am not sure how my playing was...

Posted: 2/22/2012 4:17:02 PM
SewerPipe

Amey:

Somewhere I saw it posted (not by me) that every time you turn on your Theremin you should turn on your recorder, that way you will be able to "recall" your time in the Ether. I will admit that I haven't followed that practice, and have got "there" and don't know "how". Guess I need to -----

1. Turn on recorder

2. Turn on Theremin

3. Turn on background music

4. Enter the Ether :)

Have a Blessed Day -- SewerPipe

Posted: 2/23/2012 11:16:57 AM
coalport

I agree with SewerPipe. Just because you lose yourself during a performance doesn't mean it was good. Listening back to a recording of a performance you thought was brilliant as you were giving it, can be a revelation (I know, I've done it!) 

It's often a good idea to listen to recordings of yourself the day after you made them. If you listen right away, you may not have the objectivity you think you have. There is an "after glow" that can skew your judgment. 

Posted: 2/23/2012 1:59:54 PM
Amethyste

The thing is that I am focused on what I am doing, note by note.... I have a good idea of the kind of performance I did (if the dog stays, it's a good sign lol) but somehow I feel like I am  suspended in time within the fabric of space... It's an odd feeling!

Posted: 2/23/2012 3:12:15 PM
SewerPipe

Amey:

Some of my best (IMHO) sounding recordings came from when I was "lost" in the Ether, but then I am not like "most" people.  :~)

My dog always stays --- it's my Wife that leaves!! (not kidding)

Posted: 2/23/2012 3:40:50 PM
Amethyste

HAHA....Wife leaves... you are funny Sewer! :)

My theremin corner in in our bedroom. Last night my husband got into bed toward the end of my practice session. He asked me to play Ave Maria and I obliged :)

At the end of the piece, I turn and said "Did you like that?" and he was sound asleep. Guess so!

Posted: 2/23/2012 3:59:01 PM
SewerPipe

Playing well is the "Cake", but, being able to share it with others is the "Icing". To me it’s why you play, and not so much how you play, that is the greatest reward. But there again --- that’s just me.

Have a Blessed Day -- Dana

Posted: 2/24/2012 3:03:25 AM
DiggyDog

It's happened to more than once. And not just on theremin either. If I am playing bass or dums with some good musicians I can get really lost. It's usually a good thing.

Posted: 2/24/2012 9:11:45 PM
GordonC

Not just music either. A long time ago I learned all the parts to a (slightly modernised version of a) medieval mystery play. (i.e. based on Biblical events and chock full of moral lessons. An old style audio-visual presentation.)

It has to come from the heart. And there are 15-20 minute monologues to memorise. Those are the tricky bits.

So, first you learn them until you are word perfect. Then you continue learning them until all the appropriate emotions and understanding are in place. Then you continue learning them until they are a part of your personality and when you tell your stories you are no longer acting - rather they come as naturally as recounting an incident that happened to you yesterday.

At this point it is easy to drop into that dream-like state where it happens on auto-pilot and your awareness is not necessary. If you're not careful you can start thinking about what you're having for dinner later while you're still chatting away and then suddenly realise that you said "steak and kidney pie" out loud by accident, to the general amusement of the audience. 

Or, more usefully, you can step outside of yourself (and here I draw a parallel with lucid dreaming) and listen to what you are saying as an audience member might, but with the option to tweak your delivery a little here and there, just to bring the very best out of it. 

Posted: 2/25/2012 6:26:41 PM
Jason

Lately, it happens to me when I'm driving to work.  What?!  Here already?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.