Upcoming events calendar added

Posted: 3/3/2012 10:17:06 PM
Jason

I've just enabled our new Events Calendar feature.  You'll see it above on the main menu. 

So, if you have an upcoming gig or maybe you're just going to a show that isn't listed, feel free to add it to the list! 

You can even search by events near a particular city (within 100 miles) to see what's coming up near you.

If you have any problems with it or have an idea to make it better, please leave comments on this thread.

Enjoy!

Posted: 3/16/2012 9:17:11 PM
Jason

I just added a feature to export events in iCalendar format now, so you can easily add them to your calendars.  Just click the little calendar icon at the top of the details page for any event.

As always, let me know if you see any probems with it.

Posted: 3/18/2012 9:31:46 PM
Thierry

Don't yet know why, but iCal (the default calendar app on the Mac) crashes when I try to import the ics file which I downloaded for today's spellbound radio event.

When I look at it with a text editor all seems fine.  

Posted: 3/18/2012 11:33:13 PM
GordonC

It causes my iCal to hang.

I got it to import correctly it by changing the DTSTART: and DTEND: arguments from 

MM/DD/YYYY H:MM:SS [A|P]M

format to 

YYYYMMDDTHHMMSS

format, copying a calendar event I exported from iCal for comparison.

:-)

I think this may be a problem for localised versions of iCal in parts of the world where DD/MM/YYYY is the norm; that they are confused by an argument which appears to specify a month number greater than 12, but I have not tested this hypothesis. Gotta leave the programmer something to do. ;-)

Posted: 3/18/2012 11:52:59 PM
Jason

Thanks for the bug reports guys!  I will take a look this evening. I guess your calendar apps didn't test with malformed data ;)

Posted: 3/19/2012 12:27:29 AM
GordonC

I was just thinking that myself. :-)

Posted: 3/19/2012 6:22:17 AM
Jason

Alright, I had the date/time format wrong.  I uploaded a fix tonight, so hopefully it won't give you any more problems.  Can you guys give it a quick try and let me know if it's working for you now?

thanks!

Jason

Posted: 3/19/2012 7:55:04 AM
Thierry

Works like a charm now, thank you Jason!

I'd just ask for a very little improvement: Could you please add the links towards ICS generation not only in the event details, but also in the listing http://thereminworld.com/events ? I think that in many cases one will not need to enter the details of an event, especially for recurring things like the spellbound radio.

Posted: 3/19/2012 9:04:19 AM
GordonC

Not quite perfect. :-(

Charlie Draper's event shows up as from 1am to 2am.

Time zone not specified, I suspect.

PS. British Summer Time starts on the 25th of March this year. I'll try to remember to test the calendar again after that date. ;-)

Posted: 3/19/2012 6:49:15 PM
Jason

@Thierry - done!

@Gordon - Try again one more time?  I just pushed up an update that fixes this I think.  Turns out that event was already specified in UTC, and I was actually re-converting times in UTC which pushed it off schedule.  This should be working now.

Thanks for all the feedback!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.