Lighting up the diamond speaker! :)

Posted: 3/29/2012 8:15:13 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello all. I'm still hard at work on my diamond speaker. I've added some details to it. It's still a work in progress. I've just absolutely got to find some sort of ornamental corner cover plates to hide those PVC elbows. LOL :)

I've uploaded some new photos of the speaker which now sports LED light tape, which is so thin, it can go just about anywhere. The stuff even has it's own adhesive on the back so you just peel off the backing, and stick it where you want the light to live.

Oh, one little problem: This stuff does muck about with ANY theremin that's within about three or four feet. You get a little harmonic artifact that's certainly to be avoided.

You can see the latest progress shots at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thereminist-thomasgrillo/?saved=1

Enjoy! :)

Posted: 3/30/2012 3:12:15 AM
SewerPipe

Thomas; Might I suggest you paint the PVC with Rust-Oleum multicolor textured spray paint. On my speaker I used it on the base, support rods, and back cover. The color I used is called "Aged Iron" and the part number is 223525, purchased at Home Depot. It is a sort of Flat black with just a hint of tinny pail white specks. It's hard to describe, but the cap will give you a good idea of how it looks. I found it to be very effective at covering slight defects in the material being painted. One thing it Does Not Do --- is reflect light. In MHO it would not "compete" with the lights, glitter, holo type effect that you have on the rest of the unit. Even if you leave the PVC as is, your speaker looks fine just the way it is now. Have a Blessed day.

In His Service --- Dana

Posted: 3/30/2012 1:58:36 PM
Thomas Grillo

@SewerPipe Hello Dana, painting the column is on the list. I had not considered the aged iron look. I've been thinking of either using vynil wood on the main column, and using gold leaf spray on the floor flange. Eventually, I need to bolt the flange to a wooden base not more than a couple of inches high or the top of the speaker will touch the arms of the spider lamp. The elbows at the corners, I'm planning on covering with brass corner decorative plates, and the bit where the speaker connects with the column will be hidden behind some sort of art deco sort of ornament.

I'll certainly consider the aged iron for the back cover when I'm ready to button it up back there. Still some more work to do. :)

Posted: 3/31/2012 10:56:50 AM
coalport

Sewerpipe wrote: "In His Service --- Dana"

I don't mean to pry, but I was curious to know whose service is being referred to in the above comment. I have noticed this post script in several of your messages and I was just wondering....

Baby Jesus? Lev Segeievitch? Lord Krishna? His Majesty Satan? 

Posted: 3/31/2012 11:07:43 PM
invisiblejelly

Posted: 4/1/2012 12:02:01 AM
invisiblejelly

Coalport replied thus

"Sewerpipe wrote: "In His Service --- Dana"

I don't mean to pry, but I was curious to know whose service is being referred to in the above comment. I have noticed this post script in several of your messages and I was just wondering....

Baby Jesus? Lev Segeievitch? Lord Krishna? His Majesty Satan? "

Invisiblejelly writes

"This is obviously the Great Theremin Player in the sky that plays us without touching us but plays different tunes on each one of us according to the Great Plan.Now we have free will to be a bit player or to play a major part in this orchestra simply by choosing to serve this plan or not, but in any case we still get used in the plan.

Posted: 4/1/2012 1:24:22 AM
SewerPipe

Psalms 118:8

Have a Blessed day --- Dana

Posted: 4/1/2012 11:52:28 AM
coalport

Psalms 118:8

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD 
   than to trust in humans." 

WOW! What a beautiful thought. Too bad it is followed immediately by the following:

Psalms 118:10

"All the nations surrounded me, 
   but in the name of the LORD I cut them down."

I always wondered if the reference to the "rod" and the "staff" in Psalm 23 was a reference to the antennas of a theremin. The "crook and flail" of the Egyptian pharaohs sure look like theremin antennas!

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/crooksandflails.htm

Posted: 4/1/2012 12:39:14 PM
GordonC

Hi, Dana. 

Is there a connection between your faith and your interest in the theremin?

Certainly I am not the first to find a powerful spiritual aspect to the instrument - you might find it interesting to search the 'net on the terms Messiaen and "Croix Sonore".

(My approach to the theremin tend to lead me to staring into the abyss more often than glancing heavenwards, but y' know, two sides of the same coin.)

-----

Also, while I am on the subject, do any of our classical bods have thoughts on the suitiability of György Ligeti's Lux Aeterna (the trippy music in 2001: A Space Odyssey) for theremins?

Posted: 4/1/2012 7:00:50 PM
coalport

The composition you are referring to (György Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna") is for 16 voices and could be easily transcribed for 16 theremins......let us take a moment, however, to reflect on the problems that people (including Lev himself) have encountered attempting to control only ten theremins.

"The whole thing fell apaaaht!" Henry Solomonoff

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.