Building a Kepp

Posted: 3/30/2012 1:03:52 PM
gtc

I'm embarking on a project to build a Keppinger Theremin as it fits with my fondness for tube circuits.

I'm currently at the parts procurement stage and I would like a copy of the parts list in Excel format if anybody has one. I'll be looking around for suggested mods/fixes before ordering the components.

I've ordered the coils and am seeking a supplier of the two chassis as I don't have metal folding and punching equipment in my shed.

Also, does anybody supply the antennae?

Posted: 3/30/2012 3:34:00 PM
Steve Mauck

Hello gtc. It is good to see that you made the trip over here to Theremin World. Apparently Dan Schreiber is not available right now to put his unsold chasses on ebay. In the process of buying the set of coils and the separate auction of the chasses, I was never able to receive any communication from Dan. There was no problem in getting the items, but there were no messages from him. So I don't know when, if ever, he will sell his unsold chasses.

However, here on Theremin World, if you click on "Home" and search around, you will find a link to the exact size and proportions of the two chasses, almost like a blue print. This can be used to take to a Machine Shop, which could bend and punch out the chasses. I can't even make a guess as to what this would cost, however. I'll see if I can find this sheet and will post the link here if I can find it again.

Posted: 3/31/2012 3:04:32 AM
gtc

Steve, thanks, I have cutting diagrams for the chassis. I sent him an eBay message asking if he will be re-listing the unsold sets, but if Mr Schreiber is usually incommunicado then I guess I'll have to get around to having them made if I'm to have any control over the timing of this build.

Do you perchance have the parts list in spreadsheet format? If not I'll go ahead and convert the PDF version.

(Hmm, this forum's software doesn't seem to activate the spelling/typo checker in Firefox?)

Posted: 9/21/2012 10:43:36 PM
Neal1929

So I too am embarking on the Kepp Theremin quest. I have had no problem communicating with Dan. He is pretty busy and the theremin thing is a hobby of his so.. I have the chassis, tubes and aerials on the way along with all the parts and pieces. The tubes are packed safely away and the sockets as well. I should be starting the work in the next week or so. I'll post my progress as I go. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

Posted: 9/22/2012 4:15:51 AM
w0ttm

I'm building a Kep as well, the model K with miniature tubes.

I built extra antennas, and have some tubes and a high quality air variable cap that might help you.

I need three 6C4's.

Wanna' do some trading?

Posted: 6/22/2013 1:22:48 AM
Jim Mattjhews

So, who's building the RCA type cabinets to put the Keppinger in?

I see a few who have had one custom made for their Kepp, but don't see anyone selling them like I do the coils or chassis.

Posted: 6/26/2013 9:55:06 PM
Jim Mattjhews

Another question I have is how linear is the Kepp?

Is linearity inherent in design or are there external factors that contribute?

Posted: 6/27/2013 2:25:06 PM
Chobbs

Hi,   so as far as I know, no one makes a cabinet for the Kep.  youll be on your own.   Any competent woodwork should be able to make something suitable and the RCA cabinet dimensions (posted here under tech and diy) should be a good starting point, tho' the RCA cabinet will need to be altered slightly to accommodate the different size chassis and top mounted coils of the kep.  also different control layout.

Linearity- the kep is not bad(tho' not great)   , mine was about consistent with my EM theremin build (an early DIY etherwave)

Posted: 4/28/2015 6:56:49 PM
KennethTan

Hi.

I have been fascinated by theremins for quite some time and I am looking to build my first one. Any pointers on where to start for a Kepp theremin? Also, where can I find the copper wires used for the inductors?

Posted: 4/30/2015 2:23:41 PM
gtc

Hi Kenneth,

I had my coils wound for me. Suggest you join this Yahoo Group for discussion of your options, etc:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/kepptheremins/info

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.