What makes a video interesting...

Posted: 5/2/2012 1:30:34 PM
Amethyste

Coalport,

I think it is normal when you listen to a piece played by a proficient thereminist that there will be little off key notes here and there, and I am prepared for that actually. But when someone reply that they have been moved by a piece that is actually 99% off key, I am often tempted to type "Seriously? Are you deaf?"

Posted: 5/2/2012 3:16:45 PM
coalport

RS Theremin,

There are many music videos on YouTube that are essentially audio-only. There is no visual performance, and all you get to see is a still photo.

Posted: 5/2/2012 3:32:00 PM
Yeapsystar

What has become blatantly obvious in these discussions of what constitutes an "interesting video" is that we are all making theremin videos that please ourselves. With all artistic creations, personal tastes vary tremendously and what may be a touching and magical theremin moment for one person, may well be torture for somebody else. 

I am no longer surprised when I see a theremin video where the playing is waaay off key and the thereminist does not know the notes of the piece being played, and then read the comments of viewers who express how deeply moved they have been by the magnificence of the performance. 

When it comes to video making, as with all aspects of theremin playing, we are not going to agree on anything (with the possible exception of the removal of the kitty litter box). 

---

That's why I think you should make a nice video along with your theremin play ;-)

Par example my first Transcendent Theremin Jam video ... Although I edited the background music BEFORE I did the theremin solo over it, the theremin solo of this video was an INSTANT playing (EVEN without warming up my theremin) ... And yeah, there ARE a few pieces out of tone in this video, but nevertheless I played this one instantly (so, without any previous exercising, as you simply can't do this with transcendent playing!) ;-)

http://youtu.be/nfDZnbyqWJE

... There's only 1 more video which is in this kinda way, and that was the theremin jam together with Neonwind & Linda because we never exercised therefore ;-)

But yes ... I actually DO agree with you when you talk about playing covers ... You should try to exercise them, which I mostly do ;-)

I personally quite dislike those videos where people try to play a song which goes out of tone, but I always and also try to look from the player's perspective ITSELF, par example like, how long does this person play theremin? And of course, we should expect more from persons who play for a longer time, but some people just don't play that well when cameras are running (I guess) than when they are not running (I sometimes have this problem, especially in the beginning but it's getting better through time I have to say ;-) ) ...

Love,

Marielle :D

Posted: 5/2/2012 3:35:17 PM
Yeapsystar

RS Theremin,

There are many music videos on YouTube that are essentially audio-only. There is no visual performance, and all you get to see is a still photo.

---

I always try to avoid to make such videos, wether it are own "bred" music videos or theremin videos 'cause I think they are quite boring ;-)

Though, the other point is, that you simply will be "pushed" to LISTEN to the music, hehe!

Love,

Marielle :D

Posted: 5/2/2012 5:15:50 PM
DiggyDog

There is nothing more boring than a "video" that consists of a single still picture.  Multiple still pics are not much better. 

If you want to posaudio-only clips do itwon Soundcloud.

Even relatively poor video quality moving pictures are better than a blank screen or a still shot.

Posted: 5/2/2012 5:32:26 PM
Amethyste

Are people getting used to mediocre videos and perfomances in general? who knows...

Posted: 5/2/2012 5:40:46 PM
AlKhwarizmi

Actually, some of the videos I have among my "favorites" in Youtube are still-picture videos. I don't mind that if the audio is great. Yes, I know there are sites like Soundcloud that are better for audio only, but if the author didn't know that or just wanted to use Youtube for some reason (e.g. more exposure), I'm not going to complain about that.

Posted: 5/2/2012 9:46:41 PM
coalport

I agree ALKh. There are many wonderful performances that have been lifted from old 78's and 33's and made into audio-only still photo videos but they are apparently not everyone's cup o' tea.

Another thing you frequently see are performances where the video portion simply follows the sheet music, page by page, as the musician plays. Very few people in the theremin community are liable to be interested in this sort of thing.

Posted: 5/2/2012 10:58:39 PM
Yeapsystar

Hmmmm ... I'm indeed not quite into those sheet music videos ... I have had 12 years piano lessons and even solfege, but I'm still a QUITE sheet music dyslectic, so it even doesn't mind if it's there or not, as I use my ears to play, not quite my eyes LOL! I think most of us overhere do ;-)

Posted: 5/2/2012 11:04:47 PM
Yeapsystar

Amey Yes: They didn’t call it YouTube Audio, so image must carry more weight!

Edit: Yeapsystar your slide video was wonderful imagery as I have slept at the feet of Māyā and experienced the peace and safety she gave to her son if only for a few days.

I seldom visit YouTube

---

Thank you, RS Theremin ... Well ... That was just my first transcendent theremin jam try out, hehe! I'd like to more of these ones in the future, but as this kinda transcendental played music MOSTLY is instant playing, I have to be in some well energy (vibes) for it ;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.