Requiring JavaScript

Posted: 4/30/2012 9:54:02 PM
Jason

I'm working on a new feature that will be much easier to code (and a much better experience for all our members) for folks who have JavaScript enabled in their browsers.

My question is - how many of you do not have JavaScript enabled in your browser?  It's such a core component of Web 2.0 I'd be surprised if there were a significant number of you, but I'm curious to know...

thanks!

Jason

Posted: 4/30/2012 10:03:47 PM
RS Theremin

I am running firefox on old XP. Do you have anyone's website address for a test I could visit to get an idea of the JavaScript version you will be using? Often I refused Javascript upgrades because my machine gets upset easily, kind of sounds like me.

Posted: 5/1/2012 2:27:14 AM
Jason

That shouldn't be a problem since I'll be using a library like jQuery, which helps abstract away differences between browsers and JavaScript versions.  For what I am considering requiring JavaScript for (simple callbacks to the web server), all JS engines since around 1998 have supported that. 

The bigger question to me is how many of our users wouldn't be able to use the feature at all if they didn't have JavaScript enabled.  With the popularity of sites like Facebook that require JavaScript today, I imagine this population of users is very small.

Posted: 5/1/2012 8:47:35 AM
Thierry

RS Theremin: Do not confound Java which needs the installation of the runtime environment from Sun/Orancle and Javascript which is implemented and activated by default in every modern web browser, even in XP. Some paranoiacs might have deactivated it for security reasons although this option is almost hidden in the browser's preferences settings.

While Java doesn't, Javascript and jQuery which is a Javascript based framework do run also on iDevices like iPhone and iPad (if not disabled).

The most important is to have one's web browser regularly updated to a recent version: For compatibility issues look here: http://docs.jquery.com/Browser_Compatibility

Posted: 5/1/2012 8:57:03 AM
gtc

I'm running Firefox on XP-Pro. Javascript is enabled by default. I say "go for it!".

Posted: 5/1/2012 10:30:49 AM
GordonC

Re Java "Some paranoiacs might have deactivated it for security reasons"

And OSX users. The most recent security update for Lion causes Java to be deactivated immediately if it is installed (it is not installed by default in Lion) and, if activated by the user, the browser plugin and Java web start are deactivated again automatically if not used for 35 consecutive days.

As noted, this does not affect Javascript. Javascript is on by default on all Apple's products.

Posted: 5/1/2012 1:49:57 PM
Jason

Thanks all.  I am going forward with the plan.  In addition to your comments, I tried Facebook without JavaScript enabled, and the experience was horrible.  I figure if they can get their 18 trillion users to leave it on, we can too :)

Posted: 5/2/2012 12:13:47 AM
Yeapsystar

I'm running Firefox on XP-Pro. Javascript is enabled by default. I say "go for it!".

---

I use WIndows 7 & Firefox, happily after all regularly updated ;-) So I think there won't be much problems overhere when you use JavaScript, so Go Ahead!

Love,

Marielle :D

Posted: 5/2/2012 2:21:45 PM
Amethyste

I am running on a commodore 64. I am not sure if it will work...

haha... kidding :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.