Theremin & Talking Machine

Posted: 6/15/2012 12:47:13 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"We are entering a new era of musical jabberwocky!" - Coalport

Not sure what you mean - 'Beware the Jabberwock, my son..' ?

Some more demos of the "sound-slider"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUwgPAhBABM

Fred

Posted: 6/21/2012 12:18:10 AM
coalport

Charlie D wrote: "Philippe Jaroussky is indeed a stunning vocalist.......Less successful was his recent foray into French art music - I think it sounded effete. But it was full of good ideas for theremin repertoire."

I was not familiar with his recent "Fauré" into French art music but I have just heard some of it and I agree with you 100%. It is affected and without energy and passion. I don't so much mind the lack of "cojones" but if you are going to dispense with them you had bloody well better replace them with something else! 

That being said, the fin-de-siècle repertoire is a gold mine for the theremin. 

Posted: 7/14/2012 4:36:23 PM
ILYA

I'm sorry, but...
Why one has to manufacture artificial voices when some opera vocalist may produce a real one any day of the week?

This is a rephrased rhetorical question (read "conclusion") from some vintage comic novel of 1920s i.e. of Lev Sergeyevich's time.

In original it sounds as "Will you kindly tell me why one has to manufacture 
artificial Spinozas when some peasant woman may produce a real one any day of the week?". It was sayed by professor Preobrazhensky who as Lev Thermen invented something (artifical superman from an ordinal dog).

If you are interested in the lifestyle of the Lev's epoch, "The Heart Of A Dog" of Mikhail Bulgakov (in english) may be download here.

Posted: 7/14/2012 7:56:07 PM
GordonC

Why one has to manufacture artificial voices when some opera vocalist may produce a real one any day of the week?

This is not about producing an artificial voice, it is about extending the range of repertoire available to the classical thereminist. 

As a simulation of a human voice it is woefully inadequate in many ways - that is not what is being attempted here.

On the other hand, some compositions may be best played on a theremin with a timbre which is in some ways reminiscent of a baritone singer.

Posted: 7/14/2012 8:42:21 PM
Amethyste

I am sorry, but not everyone "has access to a soprano every day of the week".

For many it is a way to express themselves in a different voice. As for me, I make my own music and it is nice to use a tenor for accompaniment to the soprano voice i can produce on my own...

Posted: 7/14/2012 8:52:04 PM
coalport

One of the things that sets the theremin apart from other musical instruments is that it is the only recourse for someone who wants access to the classical vocal repertoire but is not blessed with a singing voice.

Theoretically, anyone with the time and motivation can learn the piano, the violin or the clarinet, but not anyone can sing.

Posted: 8/5/2012 7:00:24 AM
Ravazul

With enough motivation and some tech stuff youu can invite a whole barbershop chorus. Another plus is: You dont have to pay for the drinks..:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uQuifC0jV0&feature=share

Posted: 8/5/2012 9:18:12 PM
Amethyste

i think it is a cool effect, but some of the chorus parts (especially in certain parts of the song) can sound discordant. It is not related to the theremin player, but to the nature of the chorus set up...

Posted: 8/5/2012 11:20:48 PM
coalport

I'm not certain exactly how everything is set up but the parts are inconsistent and off key. Interesting experiment but I think I'll go next door for my haircut - thank ya very much.

Posted: 8/6/2012 12:45:48 PM
GordonC

I imagine the problem is related to pitch variance on the theremin. It takes a short amount of time for the effect to determine a pitch and create a related note - during which time the pitch will have changed a little by glissing or vibrato or unavoidable pitch wander...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.