Help Needed, Battery-Powered Theremin.

Posted: 6/21/2012 2:26:20 AM
TheCactusThief

Hello, new here, but I had a question I hope some could help with.  I'm not fond of being tied to an amp, and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a battery powered theremin or where to buy one.

I found this  http://www.soundslikeburns.com/New_Items/handheld-with-speaker.html 

However I didnt recieve a response from them and couldnt find any videos of someone playing it.  So if anyone has bought this, is it worth it?  I would also like one with both the antenna and volume loop and the like, if possible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Posted: 6/21/2012 2:41:33 AM
RS Theremin

"I'm not fond of being tied to an amp"

So you want to listen to yourself play through headphones?

You should get a good earth ground from somewhere but it can be done without one if you are not after an ideal tone or response.

Welcome

Posted: 6/21/2012 2:43:54 AM
TheCactusThief

"So you want to listen to yourself play through headphones?"

Well no, I was talking about a battery powered one with a speaker in it like the one in the link I posted.

Posted: 6/21/2012 3:15:35 AM
RS Theremin

I am a bit old and slow, now I looked at that link and that theremin has no method to control the volume. Others may have good advise.

Can you be more clear on your goal? Is money an issue?

Do you want to play decent theremin live at street fairs or just make whoop whoop sounds?

Can you provide a link to a YouTube video of what you want to accomplish one day?

If you upgrade a bit Dan Burns does make a nice product.

The theremin market is very limited in what is available. It still is an evolving concept and I would not recommend your first choice.

Posted: 6/21/2012 8:56:00 AM
Thierry

I've met Dan Burns last summer and he showed me his newest handheld theremin. It's a pitch-only theremin with an integrated speaker and a kind of key for muting. The instrument will work as soon as you touch the key. At the same time, the player and the instrument have the needed virtual ground connection together through touching the key.

Lydia Kavina tested it coram publicum and found the stability and the pitch field ok for an instrument at this very reasonable price. There is a picture of her playing just this instrument in the right sidebar of Dan's start page http://www.soundslikeburns.com/index.html

I just can't understand why Dan and Kathy Burns aren't responding, they are very kind people and normally they are very responsive. Just try it again or friend them on Facebook

Posted: 6/21/2012 2:00:03 PM
TheCactusThief

Thank you for the prompt and helpful responses, I'll try talking to them again.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.