Home page won't accept comments?

Posted: 6/27/2012 12:41:43 AM
RS Theremin

Home page won't accept comments?

One of my most beautiful and inspiring pieces of literature and the post a comment button is none responsive!#$%

Posted: 6/27/2012 3:06:31 AM
Jason

What browser and version are you using? We haven't changed any site features lately that would impact comments.  We are also getting plenty of comment spam, leading me to believe at least something is working (for better or worse).

Posted: 6/27/2012 5:18:14 AM
RS Theremin

Firefox 13.0.1  Edition Yahoo - 1.9

I tried to put a message on front page a few months ago and it just gave me rejection. Actually I think you had that Word Puzzle then and I could not get through that either. My memory is fading, don't know what that password thing was called.

I can write to the text box and spell check works, it just won't send or save when clicking the button.

Incompatible JavaScript?

That word puzzle does not show up on my screen now.

Christopher

Edit: I use Windows XP but can't decide whether to buy a laptop or box. A box is all I have ever known and less likely to be  stolen. A laptop will become so valuable personally someday that it will require a security implant in your hand to keep it secure, no wait, that might be your cell phone. Reminds me of a method used on some hand guns.

Posted: 6/27/2012 1:54:46 PM
Jason

Yes, we got rid of the CAPTCHA word puzzles because people found them annoying.  Unfortunately, so did spammers, and now they've been freely posting junk all over our articles.  We're trying our best to keep up with them and are deleting all the spam comments we find.

I just installed Firefox 13.0.1 and tried posting a comment, and it worked fine for me from Windows.  Are you using Windows or a Mac?  You might try refreshing your browser cache for our site to see if that helps.  I'm using jQuery for JavaScript, and it does a pretty good job of working with all browsers.  So while it might be incompatible JavaScript, I'll have to keep looking to figure the problem out.

Thanks for the report!

Posted: 6/27/2012 2:40:26 PM
Chobbs

Jason, I had the same problem the other week when trying to add a comment to the RCA Replica headline.   Using firefox,

Posted: 6/28/2012 3:25:56 PM
Jason

@Chobbs - Thanks for confirming.  Are you using the same Firefox version (13.0.1) and Windows XP?

Posted: 7/3/2012 11:20:02 PM
Chobbs

firefox13.0.1  and osx snow leopard ( last version- I forget the number)

Posted: 7/18/2012 11:55:51 PM
RS Theremin

Front page is now accepting my comments. I don't know if Jason corrected the issue or some Fix PC software I ran solved the issue.

Your a great person Jason, Thank you for your time devoted to all of this.

Christopher

Posted: 7/19/2012 5:41:08 PM
Amethyste

That Jason Dude, he's a decent chap ;)

Posted: 7/26/2012 10:56:21 AM
Thierry

Just found out that the new speech recognition in OSX 10.8 works also in this text input window... :-)

This made me happy. I didn't expect it to work with my horrible French or German accent when I speak English.

But the recognition rate is much better when I speak French or German...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.