theremins, Vulcans, Ferangi, Linearity,Commercial, Anything really ;-)

Posted: 7/6/2012 6:48:59 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Teleported from Here  <- STARGATE !!

Yeah - I hijacked my own thread, and the Enterprise took us to explore new worlds, to seek out life etc..

I do not know if Jason can teleport the strings making up this hijacked thread to this dimension - Probably not now that existance of the Higgs boson has been confirmed..

But please could all further entries into the captains log be done here? I think it will make it easier for future researchers to find, as "looking for new uk home" is a kind of obscure title for discussions about linearity and whatever..

At least now the previous entries have a possibility of being found, as there is a stargate placed here to allow travel to their unlikely location. 

;-)

Posted: 7/6/2012 7:04:05 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Coalport, I love everything you say in your post of 7/5/2012 11:21:18 AM .. LOL ! ;-)

"If there were a theremin in every home and everybody played, why would this be such a wonderful thing? What is it about "world thereminization" that makes it desirable? I do understand the need of the "true believer", especially the recently converted, to go out and evangelize the world and spread the good news but it generally leads to catastrophe."

"world thereminization" is, IMO, probably the silliest concept ever to come from our "club" !

"We have little to fear from Vulcans and Klingons. It is the Ferengi we must beware of! They impose the death penalty for the crime of engaging in an unprofitable enterprise!"

LOL! I would be dead!  ;-)

Fred.

> And you also gave me a vital clue.. At last I know what alien species my wife is! ;-)

Posted: 7/6/2012 7:06:50 AM
FredM

"what I mean is that, for example, in the EW standard note spacing is narrow near the pitch row, then wider, and then narrower again. I get used to the nonlinearity of the field in the mid-high range pretty well, it feels rather natural that the mid tones have wider spacing that the high tones. But when it gets narrow again in the lower range it gets me all the time. " - AILhwarizmi 7/5/2012 10:55:54 AM

I think what you say above is a big part (if not complete) of the issue. There is this issue with equalization using a antenna circuit having series inductance - it tends to stretch (linearize) the 'close to antenna' field, but also to compress the 'far from antenna' field (please understand that technically the words I am using here are incorrect - the "field" actually doesnt alter at all - it is defined by the physics and is invariant - it is the way the "field" is "interpreted" which changes).

There is also the influence (with some theremin circuits, like the unmodified EW) of oscillator coupling, and this tends to compress the bass note intervals - At one time I was led to believe that this "compression" was desirable - And when I was playing with buffering the EW oscillators, I deliberately added oscillator coupling so as not to lose this "feature" - But I discovered that removing this coupling "stretched" the bass intervals and this made playing far more consistant - rather than the EW front-end being (IMO) unplayable, I found I got on well with the "shape" of the "field".

My H1 theremins oscillators had only minimal coupling, and there was also a sub octave audio available, which meant that bass could be shifted into a more linear area of the field - even the theremins without any equalization (and therefore highly non-linear) were, to me, far easier to play than an unmodified EW.

Perhaps we have a natural "feel" for musical non-linearity.. We learn to compensate for this.. We "know" where to place our finger on a string to change its resonant length and produce the desired note, and after a short time can play tunes on a single string unfretted instrument (I have seen this when building simple musical instruments with children in workshops at festivals / green gatherings).. I think that if there was inconsistancy in how the pitch intervals were distributed, things would be much less intuitive.

Fred.

Posted: 7/6/2012 11:34:46 AM
coalport

I wrote: "We have little to fear from Vulcans and Klingons. It is the Ferengi we must beware of! They impose the death penalty for the crime of engaging in an unprofitable enterprise!"

Fred: LOL! I would be dead! .....And you also gave me a vital clue.. At last I know what alien species my wife is!

Fred, your failure to recognize the species your wife belongs to is your own damn fault! You should have known right away, years ago, when the creature first responded to oo-mox.

On the subject of theremins - one of the things that makes the RCA so playable in comparison with other makes and types of theremin is its reduced range. 

As Clara once pointed out, modern thereminists are too "greedy" and often want a range of 5 or 6 octaves. This is fine for avant garde/aleatoric playing but, for the precision thereminist, every note that is added to the playing arc beyond three and a half octaves (the range of the RCA) increases the difficulty of accurate intonation and the likelihood of "pitchy" playing.

Nothing has ever been written for voice (other than perhaps the "exotica" compositions created for the late Yma Sumac) that cannot be sung with just a two and a half octave range. The practical limit of the violin is about 4 octaves (there are high harmonics that are possible beyond this but they are not playable like the notes in the lower part of the range, nor are they particularly agreeable to the ear). 

The Moog Ethervox theremin, by using its register control feature, has a usable range of nine and a half octaves but much of it is waaaay up in doggieland and not practical for the kind of music most people enjoy. 

Somehow, in the minds of inexperienced theremin players, greater range has been thought of as an indicator of the superiority of the device. "Wow man! That theremin is really great! It has like a 10 octave range!"

Sorry, but that's only great if you want to use your theremin for FX. 

"The most important thing for a new thereminist is to know where you want to go with the instrument before you start out." Clara Rockmore

This seems almost ridiculously obvious but it's amazing how many people leap into the theremin without having given any thought at all to where they want to land! They do this because they believe that they will be able to make any kind of music they want with whatever sort of theremin they decide to buy.

Unfortunately, the primary consideration in deciding what sort of theremin to purchase is usually the cost of the instrument rather than the musical goal of the buyer. 

If your goal is to enter the Indy 500, don't waste your money on that used VW.

Posted: 7/6/2012 3:42:34 PM
Amethyste

O__o 

Yikes

Posted: 7/6/2012 3:45:41 PM
Amethyste

Coalport said:

"If your goal is to enter the Indy 500, don't waste your money on that used VW."

Sorry but not everyone has the lovely money to own all the theremins and goodness that you have. Us lowly mortals have to start somewhere... And usually it is an entry level theremin...

Posted: 7/6/2012 4:17:02 PM
GordonC

If your goal is to enter the Indy 500, don't waste your money on that used VW

unless it's called Herbie.

Posted: 7/6/2012 7:51:43 PM
FredM

"Unfortunately, the primary consideration in deciding what sort of theremin to purchase is usually the cost of the instrument rather than the musical goal of the buyer." - Coalport

True - But this economic fact of life probably applies to all musical instruments and probably most items people buy.

For musical instruments, I think the lack of playability which some cheap instruments 'impose'   can have a discouraging effect, and I dont think that this applies only to theremins.

Theremins, being the strange instruments that they are, probably suffer worse than most from the above "added" difficulty which a poor quality instrument imposes.

" it's amazing how many people leap into the theremin without having given any thought at all to where they want to land! They do this because they believe that they will be able to make any kind of music they want with whatever sort of theremin they decide to buy"

I think perhaps the above could apply to any instrument - or at least applies to many (most?) people.. You hear an instrument and like what you hear - for whatever reason, you want to 'have a go' for yourself - You do not, when buying your first Cassio keyboard think anything like "Do I want to be playing Rachmaninof, or do I want to be playing boogie" - Perhaps one "should" think about what one is likely to want to play, but you dont - You dont know whether you will really get into the instrument, and cannot afford a full weighted keyboard costing a grand - you can afford to 'gamble' a hundred quid or so..

And most of all, you are not aware of the huge difference that a quality instrument WILL make to your expierience.

I only discovered this after I owned several expensive synthesisers which had crap keyboards - I never knew they were crap - I assumed that for the price-tag and reputation of these instruments, the keyboards must at least be 'reasonable'.. Then I bought a faulty Yamaha weighted master keyboard, fixed it, and my whole expierience with playing altered completely - Yeah, I am still crap! - But at least I dont get two keys next to each other being activated simultaneously when I try to play fast.

Back in the mid 70's I was designing and building analogue synths both as a side-line business and then for a Uk synth manufacturer - the keyboard was seen almost as an unfortunately required "accessory" - back in those days one could buy keyboards at various quality levels (there was an industry supplying components for organ and synth builders, and companies now long defunct, like Kimber Allen, who supplied everything from crap through to high-end keyboards, contacts, stops etc), and almost all synth builders chose the cheapest they could find.

I see the situation with theremins as having some similarity to the above - Except that the main extra cost required to provide more playable instruments may not be the cost of the extra components, but the cost of the required R+D.

If I was to bring a theremin to market, and if I was to attempt to recover my R+D costs (as, from a commercial perspective, I probably should) then the instrument would go on sale at a high-end price and be off-the-scale for beginners, even if I could bring the manufacturing price to comparable cost of competitors instruments. As it stands, the extra circuitry and specifically the custom magnetic components required for my linearization scheme would, at present, price the instrument at the EW tag or higher and my profits would be marginal.. This is the catch 22 - Build more than 100, and the cost of the custom components (and all other costs as well) becomes much smaller, and the price could drop substantially - down to a level possibly affordable by a beginner.

Fred.

Posted: 7/6/2012 7:58:08 PM
FredM

"If your goal is to enter the Indy 500, don't waste your money on that used VW."

Agreed - But I dont think many people buying a theremin aspire to the "Indy 500" - Like most people buying a car, they need, at minimum, something which drives and steers / brakes correctly..

And the trouble is that most theremins (particularly cheap new ones - LOL) are not particularly good when it comes to "steering" and staying on the road!

- Give me a used VW any day! ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 7/6/2012 8:08:20 PM
FredM

"Fred, your failure to recognize the species your wife belongs to is your own damn fault! You should have known right away, years ago, when the creature first responded to oo-mox." - Coalport

WTF !! I had to look up what oo-mox was, on the Star-Trek Wiki..

Kind of scary how accurate....

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.