Therelympics ~ post submissions here :)

Posted: 8/9/2012 1:03:32 PM
Amethyste

Dear Coalport,

I understand your point, but you are dampening the spirit of this friendly event uniting thereminists to share something they are working on... Just for fun. I just think that sometimes, people cannot and will not be able to invest in paying someone to create them an original version. There is also the question of time, and availability that is a problem for most. Luckily, I have access to midis and transform them the way I would like it, but to invest in VSTs, sample libraries is very expensive as well. 

This being said, could you please make an arrangement of O Canada! for me and I'd be more than happy to interpret it the way it should... :)

Posted: 8/9/2012 2:15:23 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi all, Here is The National Anthem of The United States Of America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqjJ2mJGvU

Enjoy! :)

Posted: 8/9/2012 4:46:27 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Amey,

You could download a MIDI file and extract the backing (and do whatever else you want) using a simple MIDI editor (most free MIDI downloads need a lot of work to make them tolerable, IMO) - Most PC's have reasonable sound cards these days and most MIDI files are GM (which means that usually the instruments sound at least similar to what was intended).

It is a real pain to get good backing tracks for vocals or lead instruments - but in many ways I do agree with Peter (even in his "Coalport" incarnation, LOL) on this - I think that for a "contest" like this it really doesnt matter if one plays over another lead instrument or vocals - but usually when I hear this done (by any instrument) I find it a bit annoying -

However I never found your O Canada annoying at all, I feel that what you did really enhanced the piece greatly - I have just spent some time listening to dozens of renditions of this piece both as MP3 and MIDI files, and honestly, yours is IMO far superior and more enjoyable than any other.. What I found surprising is that you managed to lift a quite boring piece and transform it into something really beautiful - having listened to other renditions, had I not heard your rendition I would never have imagined such a transformation was possible.

I think the "requirement" to "replace" the lead rather than to add another lead probably doesnt apply much to national anthems and many hymns, where there really isnt a "lead" instrument, and the "accompaniment" follows the same melody as any "lead".

"Hills of the North Rejoice" is different in this respect, I think - There is (or at least the version Gordon linked to, from which I thought it would be great for Theremin) a "real" accompaniment different to the lead -

And I think Coalport is right that playing 'on top of' the lead in this piece would not be optimum..

I personally do not think Coalports input on this was negetive, nor do I think it was intended to be negetive - This is not about "sticking up for someone I percieve to be my buddy" - I found his comments interesting and feel that this kind of input could be useful guidance for people wanting to play over backing tracks.

Somewhere I have some experimental software to allow tracking and extraction of a single lead instrument from an audio file - I stopped using it years ago because I found that it left audio "debris" in its wake for most instruments it extracted - But I think for the pure and easily identifiable lead sound in "Hills.." it might work.

Fred.

Posted: 8/9/2012 5:05:04 PM
Amethyste

Fred,

Thank you for the nice words on my piece and playing! I am happy that it pleased you :). I did find the piece challenging, but I had a great time learning it :)

It will always be an eternal debate on the subject of accompaniment. It would be nice to have access to wonderful instrumentals for us to play on, but the reality is, it is not all that possible. 

Posted: 8/9/2012 6:09:01 PM
Yeapsystar

Marielle, I really enjoyed your theremin entry... It seems like a tough piece to play with all these quick note changes! You did very well on this! I love the ending especially!! ;)

Mwaah ... It's actually not too difficult, it's more the measure changes versus the tone changes which makes it a bit that you've got to have some concentration on it ;-) I did this one already in 2010 ... Maybe I should give it another try again within some while, hehe!

Posted: 8/9/2012 6:30:24 PM
Yeapsystar

So far, most people who have submitted theremin versions of national anthems seem to be playing on top of completed, rousing, commercial recordings in which the melody is already being played by some other instrument. 

The problem is with some natuonal anthems - like the Dutch one - that there's a possibility of - in the case of this video - that there's singing along the backing music where's clearly some melody line noticable within ;-)

http://youtu.be/Gqr4ZyD_Dlw

... And it's NOT only with soccer ... Check this video out ;-) The first anthem is the Israelian anthem, the 2nd one the Wilhelmus around 1:20 ;-) But with BOTH national anthems in case, there goes a melody line around the singing ;-)

http://youtu.be/Qq5N9zMfixs

I think they do this because an anthem has to be for the crowd too, and if you want to have an entire crowd sing an anthem, you have to be sure that they know - besides the lyrics - the melody line too :D

Emotion, musicality, originality...everything has already been provided by whoever created the basic performance. All the thereminist is doing is getting in the way of someone else's work in an attempt to show that he or she can play a simple melody without going off key.

I agree with you, but again, in some situations it's not possible in another way ...

Playing on key should not be the goal of an artist. It should be the basic foundation on which something else is built.

That's correct too and most people with a couple of absolute musical ears can do this :D

I understand that some people are perhaps not able, or not equipped, to create their own "made to measure" accompaniment but playing along with someone else's completed performance puts them at a disadvantage. When there are two solo instruments both playing the same melody, you are locked into somebody else's interpretation and the sound you hear is not a solo theremin. It is a mix of theremin and whatever is already on the track. 

In some ways, I'm agreeing with you, except for the anthem part of it ;-) Another thing is that people not always have time & energy to put into remastering someone else's things ... I mostly work with MIDIs where I cut the melody part out ;-)

Thereminists who play over top of someone else's music often give the impression that they believe they are adding the crown jewel to the listening experience. Perhaps that is what they are feeling as they are playing.

Oh it's not in my case ... In my case it's PURE time & energy based! And partly inspiration based as I think that ALTHOUGH you are remastering someone else's stuff, you need to be in the right mood for that ...

Posted: 8/9/2012 6:33:13 PM
Yeapsystar

Dear Coalport,

I understand your point, but you are dampening the spirit of this friendly event uniting thereminists to share something they are working on... Just for fun. I just think that sometimes, people cannot and will not be able to invest in paying someone to create them an original version. There is also the question of time, and availability that is a problem for most. Luckily, I have access to midis and transform them the way I would like it, but to invest in VSTs, sample libraries is very expensive as well. 

This being said, could you please make an arrangement of O Canada! for me and I'd be more than happy to interpret it the way it should... :)

LOL! Amey :p

Posted: 8/9/2012 6:35:08 PM
Yeapsystar

Amey, Fred, all ... You can find a lot of good & nice free MIDIs via http://www.vanbasco.com ... It's a great MIDI searching engine!

Posted: 8/9/2012 6:38:20 PM
Yeapsystar

Hi all, Here is The National Anthem of The United States Of America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYqjJ2mJGvU

Enjoy! :)

Now THAT's sounding great !!!

Posted: 8/9/2012 7:41:21 PM
coalport

Fred: "I personally do not think Coalport's input on this was negative, nor do I think it was intended to be negative...."

You're right, Fred. It was an observation I have made before and I believe it applies not just to theremin playing but to ALL performances. I have heard thereminists record themselves playing along with Clara Rockmore! In their minds, they seem to be equating themselves with Clara and showing the world that they can play as well as she.

YouTube is full of videos of people singing along with their favorite pop stars, seemingly in an effort to show people they are as good as Lady Gaga, or Streisand, or whoever. Of course, all they end up doing is destroying the original.

This is not an effort on my part to wreck a friendly little national anthem competition and I am quite sure nothing I say is going to deter participation one bit!

Just food for thought.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.