Therelympics ~ post submissions here :)

Posted: 8/11/2012 3:58:47 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_U7R-iFbZQ  Thanks for this link, Coalport  - That is a truly wonderful "tutorial" -  20+ years ago I bought an expensive course in arranging and composing for electronic instruments (complete with records - it was pre-CD etc)  - it was a waste of money - I learned more from these 6 "THE UNASHAMED ACCOMPANIST" than I did from that course.

fred.

Posted: 8/11/2012 6:42:26 PM
Ravazul

On behalf of my wife Marita, who was playing the theremin in the German entry ( reason is that her english is a bit rusty), she wants to point out the following:

Many thanks to all of you who gave me inspiration and friendly words. Im so sorry that Amethyste left the Forum and im feeling a bit responsible for that. We all are musicians and everyone plays the theremin in a different way. There is no better or worse, just different approaches. From my point this was only a collection of entrys and not a competition. 

Peace to all and I hope the dust will settle soon!

Marita

Posted: 8/11/2012 11:42:43 PM
AlKhwarizmi

I have just seen this competition. Let's see if I can post an entry with some anthem... not my own (Spain), because it is terrible, I think not even the best thereminist could make it sound good! (no, I'm not much of a nationalist either...)

Amethyste, don't leave! I'm sure all of us appreciate both you and your music. I know I do. This thread has brought you bad feelings, but haven't many others brought you good things? It's better to stay for the good than to leave for the bad! (sorry for my limited English in this paragraph - my English is rather good when talking about objective/technical stuff, probably because I do that often at my work, but when talking about personal things, subjectivity and feelings it's much more limited - but I hope you understand what I mean!).

Posted: 8/12/2012 12:00:17 AM
Yeapsystar

Amethyste is a valuable asset to this community. It is my fervent hope that she does not leave Thereminworld. As her instructor, I can tell you that she has come a long way, in an even shorter time than it took for me to get where she is now.

This thread was started by her to serve as a placeholder for submissions to what was to have been bit of "just for fun" participation in honor of the Olympics. Not so much as an open invitation to discuss the merits of using melody free accompaniment, which has already been discussed in other threads repeatedly. That said, such tracks cost money which is pretty hard to come by these days, and we have to make do with what's available.

Also, I don't think it helped matters that I was touted by Thereminworld on FB as having submitted first when she had posted her submission the night before.

Amen to you Thomas! Why arguing about such small tittbitts? I mean, is that REALLY important for this contest? Isn't it not more important to respect everyone's input and worthiness? Every thereminist has his/her own way of playing, his/her own style ...

Please Amey stay, we can't miss you!

Posted: 8/12/2012 5:54:56 AM
Amethyste

THanks all for caring... I think I over-reacted. It's the sum of a full time job, a part time job, and studying for tests at my full time work. Time is scarce and I am a little stressed out. I will most likely not stop posting here on TW because you all mean a lot to me. Though sometimes there are head butts, I cherish all of you on here.

I just need to take things slow, with a grain of salt and with a little more humor. I don't need a hug really, I just need a drink!

Have a great weekend, everyone and sorry for my childish outburst.

Amey

Posted: 8/12/2012 9:34:23 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

" I don't need a hug really, I just need a drink!"

Perhaps a drink, then a hug ;-)

" It's better to stay for the good than to leave for the bad! "

Words of wisdom there, in any language!

Posted: 8/12/2012 1:38:06 PM
coalport

What do you get when you combine a "hug" and a "drink"

....take yer choice - either a "drug" or a "hunk"!

Posted: 8/12/2012 3:44:53 PM
coalport

Ravazul wrote: We all are musicians and everyone plays the theremin in a different way. There is no better or worse, just different approaches.

That is a lovely, all-inclusive philosophy but unfortunately it's not true. Both PITCH and TEMPO are measurable and there are most definitely thereminists who are BETTER and others who are WORSE at achieving accuracy in these areas. 

I agree that when it comes to personal taste in approach and interpretation there is no right or wrong. But when it comes to measurable, verifiable quantities, your 'A' is either 440 or it is not.

You are either in step with your accompaniment, or you are not.

PLEASE NOTE** I am not talking specifically about anyone's anthem submission. I am talking about a general principle that would apply to any musical performance, vocal or instrumental.

Posted: 8/12/2012 5:53:44 PM
Ravazul

My apologies...may be i translated it wrong or its my lack of understanding music (im a veterinarian..:-) ). Marita agrees with you totally and now i go into my hole again.

A "hink" might help alot at the moment..sigh

Posted: 8/12/2012 8:20:53 PM
Amethyste

A Peter Pringles hug? I wonder how that feels... Maybe one day, I'll experience it :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.