SITE WENT DOWN, NEEDED FALLBACK!

Posted: 9/10/2012 9:51:46 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi all, I just had the biggest fright today. My website, http://www.thomasgrillo.com went down completely most of the day, so I created a simple fallback position for my point of presence on the web at:

http://thomasgrillo1701.wix.com/thomas-grillo-music

I still have some minor details to take care of like the gig log, but it's not going to be as grand as the main site. Enjoy.

UPDATE: My site was one of millions which were out of service, and hosted through godaddy and their re-sellers. I'm back up and running now.

Posted: 9/11/2012 1:59:27 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I think there might have been some major outage - A lot of sites I tried to access were unavailabe, and TW gave me a lot of "problems in the ether" messages as well.. Lots of sites which did work seemed a lot slower than usual (I checked my speed to my ISP and this was fine - so I suspect that it was some major outage elsewhere, and resulting re-routings which caused a bottleneck)

Fred.

Posted: 9/11/2012 2:07:31 AM
Thomas Grillo

@FredM I agree. There was mention on this in this evening's news. I also noticed slow-downs here and there at working sites. Still don't know for sure who or what caused it. Media said a twitter claim was posted by someone claiming responsibility, but the site hosts stated it was likely a hardware issue that someone was trying to take credit for. Let's hope it stays fixed.

Posted: 9/11/2012 2:42:01 AM
nieradka

Godaddy, who is a cheap dns/ domain registrar/ the site you probably registered thomasgrillo.com with, was hacked and brought down. Supposedly in retaliation for their support of SOPA/PIPA.

Posted: 9/11/2012 2:43:37 AM
dewster

The Godaddy DDoS was on /.

http://it.slashdot.org/story/12/09/10/190247/godaddy-goes-down-anonymous-claims-responsibility

It might be a good time to switch providers, they seem kind of questionable.

Posted: 9/11/2012 2:46:53 AM
Thomas Grillo

@dewster @nieradka Yup... time to think about a new host. Bugger.

Posted: 9/11/2012 4:26:48 AM
Jason

I dumped GoDaddy about a year ago, partially because of their Super Bowl ads, their elephant-killing CEO, and the ridiculous way their site tries to trick you into spending more and more money on features you'd never in a million years need.  If you have to trick your customers into buying something, you're doing it wrong.

We're using DiscountASP.NET now, and I have to say, their service has simply been outstanding.  Night or day, weekday or weekend, I can always shoot them an e-mail or pick up the phone and talk to a person who knows how to fix my problems.

Posted: 9/11/2012 2:09:37 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Jason Thanks for the lilnk. Just paid them a visit, and their site looks much easier to get around in than the other one I'm using. I think I'll definately switch to DiscountAsp as as I can.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.