New To The Group And Looking For Other Austin, TX Theremin Enthusists

Posted: 9/17/2012 5:16:03 AM
BlackWolf

Hello, my name is BlackWolf and I am new here. I am looking to be in contact with theremin users in Austin, Texas as well as all around Texas. My friend and I considering making thermins and I have decided to take up playing. I would like to learn how and hopefully can find a professional instructor.

Posted: 9/17/2012 5:32:29 AM
RS Theremin

Hello BlackWolf,

Your profile says you just finished your proto-type, can you elaborate more on what design or approach you used. The market is tiny for sales and the path for development is riddled with glass and thorns. Sound bytes are always welcome, they reveal how serious the endeavor actually is, that it is more than youthful enthusiasm.

I am here in So.Cal and in my ten years of theremin tinkering have never run into another thereminist. It may be challenging for you to find someone competent enough to help you get your journey started. I would look online for teachers and there are a few very good ones. Thomas Grillo is excellent and a southern gentleman ta boot!

Y'all (-' email is  hidden from public so you might want to put up a webpage link or contact in bio in that Profile.

I spent many wonderful summers as a kid outside the forgotten town of Wichita Falls swimming in the Red River. It probably has dried up since, due to the drought!

Christopher

Posted: 9/17/2012 2:57:09 PM
Amethyste

I have not really came across any one in the New Hampshire state that loves and breathes the theremin... We are a rare bunch!!

Posted: 9/20/2012 4:14:23 AM
w0ttm

I just remembered. Yvonne Lambert and The Octopus Project are based in Austin.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Article/13293/catching-up-with-yvonne-lambert

Posted: 9/20/2012 7:23:43 PM
Amethyste

I don't think that Yvonne teaches...

Posted: 9/21/2012 11:46:29 PM
Neal1929

Yeah the closest I have come to a theremin enthusiast in the Redwoods is one Little Bear in Eureka Ca. He makes some really weird Theremins.. Not a player at all and most of his designs are very unstable. They are fascinating, though unplayable. He told me that there are spirits imbued in the electronics and they have their own mind. They are tools for communicating beyond the ether. Really interesting fellow. The price tags on them are as cosmic as their voices. 

Austin is a cool city though. I lived there years ago. If you see a 6'9" dreaded individual who goes by the name Leo tell him Nicodemus says hello.

Posted: 9/22/2012 1:38:58 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"He told me that there are spirits imbued in the electronics and they have their own mind. They are tools for communicating beyond the ether."

Imbued in the electronics? Sentient resistors? Bipolar capacitors? ;-) .. And who "imbuse" these spirits into the components? - is there a hidden room in the manufacturing plants, where some medium calls up the spirits .. "We need 5 million 10k resistor spirits, make an orderly que, and a technician will lead you to the production area... Oh.. your a Watt? - Your a reincarnated 8k2 resistor ? thats ok - you did well in that last bit of kit now rotting in a landfill - so your karma is rewarded, you are a 10k now!" ? ..I do hope so! That would really make electronics a fun industry! 

(C) Fred.  ;-) LOL

Just had a worrying thought Nicodemus, what if theres only a limited number of "strong" spirits? (as opposed to the comparitavely unimportant individual component "sub" spirits) you know - a few hundred genuine theremin spirits, a million or so radio spirits ( who can be called into service on other rf products ) - Would this mean that, no matter what one did at the design, there could only be a few hundred genuine theremins in the world - or would they try to share themselves out with other things that interested them - you know - multiplex.. or "im bored with being in this Etherwave - Im off to possess one of those new Korg workstation keyboards".. (im sure a theremin spirit relocated into my Korg Karma briefly the other day..) . Suddenly, mid performance, the sound changed - the pitch shifted - "Bloody theremins" - "They always seem to go wrong at the worst possible moment..."

When it comes to spirits and demons and angels and possession etc - there is no greater source of humour and sillyness and stupidity IMO .. Add to this the multitude of stupid gods (The Romans had plenty - God of manure, God of sewers, God of cupboards - and they even turned those whose followers  caused Rome bother, into a "god" sometimes (after completely distorting the character of the individual who was being "followed" by those causing Rome some bother) - Jesus for example (Saul who "converted" and became "st Paul (the "st" being a postumous gift from - yeah - the church of Rome)" was a professional deity constructor - prior to turning Jesus into a deity, his job had been the deification of Roman emporors). ..They had a few which werent so silly, like Hilaritas, goddess of rejoicing and good humor ) - and you have a real LOL soup.

Posted: 9/22/2012 2:05:54 AM
Neal1929

Christopher,

I sent you an e-mail to the adress at the bottom of oldtemecula site. I am supposing that is your site. If not I can send it to another adress of your choosing. 

Fred,

Thats pretty much how it works, I saw a documentary on it a few years back. 

Posted: 9/22/2012 2:46:19 AM
Neal1929

dammit fred.... you are a freakin riot

Well the documentary stated that there are a limited number of therasouls and that there are very few "electromagicians" that can trap these "souls" inside units that masquerade as 'instruments'. Much akin to the JAR spell. You know that you have an object with a therasoul inside when you "play" it and all you hear is the agonizing screams of a disembodied melody.

These electromagicians have come to call themselves "engineers" so as to hide their true intentions... To trap all the therasouls in an attempt to manifest a harmonic discordance.

The narrator said he was recruited by the CIA to investigate and hunt down these 'engineers' to try and stop their diabolic plans. Supposedly he collects as many of these "instruments" as he can and takes them apart in order to free the therasouls. He proved they were free when after he finished putting one back together you could no longer hear the poor beings screaming.

You should really check it out. Very interesting stuff. It doesnt really get into the philosophy of it all, just the Facts. 

Posted: 9/22/2012 3:31:40 AM
dewster

"Little Bear... He makes some really weird Theremins.. Not a player at all and most of his designs are very unstable. They are fascinating, though unplayable. He told me that there are spirits imbued in the electronics and they have their own mind. They are tools for communicating beyond the ether." - Neal1929

I just realized I'm approaching this field from an entirely wrong angle.  My weaknesses as an electrical engineer are actually my strengths as a Theremin Shaman.  Why strive for stability, linearity, good tone, affordability, etc. when the spirits obviously desire otherwise?  I mean, who am I to argue with them?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.