Talking Machine purchase question

Posted: 11/21/2012 1:09:16 AM
coalport

If the device was turning on and off randomly you were probably overloading it. IMHO the only preset that works with the theremin, at least from the esthetic point of view, is the open "AH" setting at 12 o'clock.

Posted: 11/21/2012 11:37:22 PM
nieradka

I was referring to the voice box not the talking machine. The voice box likely expects mic level inputs, so with the theremin even attenuated down to something like instrument level, may have still been too much. 

Posted: 11/23/2012 5:31:27 PM
Dmi

I was going to buy a Talking Machine today, using Guitar Center's Black Friday coupon.  Unfortunately, Electro-Harmonix is on GC's exceedingly long list of manufacturers who have "chosen not to participate in this promotion."

http://www.guitarcenter.com/couponexclusions

Posted: 11/23/2012 6:41:17 PM
dewster

Unfortunately, Electro-Harmonix is on GC's exceedingly long list of manufacturers who have "chosen not to participate in this promotion."  - Dmi

The list of those actually participating would likely be shorter!  That said, you might try calling them (AKA Musician's Friend) because they often honor the discount over the phone (at least they reportedly often do with digital pianos). 

I believe all dealers are contractually prevented from advertising any price below some magic number set by the manufacturer (which seems like collusion and illegal market manipulation that you shouldn't find rampant in a supposedly market worshiping country like the US) but they are otherwise free to more privately sell things to you at a lower price.  This is why deep discount direct marketers like RMC Audio have "Call or Email for Pricing" in lieu of prices (we bought a new release Roland RD-700NXC from them for hundreds off of what everyone else was publicly asking for it).

Posted: 11/23/2012 10:15:09 PM
Jason

I was going to buy a Talking Machine today, using Guitar Center's Black Friday coupon.  Unfortunately, Electro-Harmonix is on GC's exceedingly long list of manufacturers who have "chosen not to participate in this promotion."

Ugh, thanks for letting us know about that.  Sorry for the hassle.  Do let us know if you're able to negotiate with them for the discount.  There are several other dealers today offering discounts.  Check out our coupon page for other options too.  You can also always use the codes at InstrumentPro to get 10% off your order, which usually covers tax.  Most stores have free shipping promos too if you look a bit.

If you're interested in a particular store, let me know, and I'm happy to look up whatever special promo codes we can get for Theremin World members.

I've updated the coupon page with even more current coupon codes.  I hope one of those can help you!

Posted: 12/3/2012 12:10:42 PM
All Souls Night

I ended up getting a talking Machine and I love it. It adds warmth to the awful sound of the theremin I am currently borrowing. Without the TM, the theremin sounds like a bunch of bees, no matter what setting I put it on. I could do the Offenbach Fly duet, but not much else.

With the TM it is so much better, warmer and rounder. I cannot wait to get my improved etherwave back from Thierry and eventually my subscope from Dominik.

I paid $220 on Ebay (no shipping costs) for the TM, but I have gotten my money's worth from it already. If I put the sensitivity up too high it shifts in volume, like a mic that shuts down when the signal gets too hot.

It works well for the arias I do on the Theremin, especially the Puccini ones. 

Now I just gotta work on staying on pitch, especially the initial attacks of a phrase. Love this theremin though.

Posted: 12/7/2012 8:22:09 PM
Dmi

I ended up buying one on eBay that came with 6 cables.  Now I wish I'd waited a bit:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ELECTRO-HARMONIX-TALKING-MACHINE-VOCAL-FORMANT-108479612-i2863360.gc

Posted: 12/18/2012 4:06:09 AM
Merula

So, I decided to sell mine after all. Nice but can't see when I'd use it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190770978825?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Posted: 12/23/2012 12:06:51 AM
Yeapsystar

... I bought mine via some Dutch online shop ... They sell all kinda gear for on stage ;-)

Posted: 12/27/2012 4:16:58 PM
Jason

Wow Merula... someone got a great deal there!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.