All Proffesional Thereminists Click here

Posted: 10/16/2012 11:40:36 PM
zyxhannah

Hi,

I'm sure that Thomas Grillo and Amethyste clicked here, and there may be a few others, as well.

I'm looking for a proffesional thereminist to interview for a school newspaper article.

I would use your name, but no other personal information.

If you are interested, please reply, and you can send me your email, if you would like, to make things easier.

Thanks,

zyxhannah

Posted: 10/17/2012 1:20:04 AM
Amethyste

I guess it depends on what you mean by "Professional".

If you need help for your school newspaper, I'd be happy to assist you.

My email is Etherealvocalist@gmail.com :)

Posted: 10/17/2012 10:23:52 AM
coalport

There ain't no such animal as a "professional thereminist", and there never has been, if you define a "profession" as someone's lifetime occupation and principal means of support.

Clara Rockmore used to talk about theremin playing "on the professional level" which was a reference to the highest degree of skill possible on the instrument, and I think that's what zxyhannah means here.

You can't make your living from playing the theremin no matter how good you are because there is little demand for the instrument. Even Samuel Hoffman and Clara Rockmore had sources of income other than their theremin playing. Dr. Hoffman was a professional podiatrist.

As for players today who play precision theremin at the "professional level", you can count 'em on one hand, if you apply the same standards of excellence you would would apply to traditional instruments.

Posted: 10/17/2012 10:59:23 AM
Amethyste

In your opinion Coalport, who are these professional living thereminists you talk about? Perhaps it would help Zy to get in touch with one of them... :) 

i have only been playing for 1 1/2 year, I know there are many other better players than myself Out there, so Zy, if you cannot get in touch with any of them, I'd be more than happy to help you with your paper/story :) just let me know...

Posted: 10/17/2012 11:48:26 AM
coalport

Amey, 

If zyxhannah does her interview with you, I have no doubt that you will be able to fill the bill perfectly for her school paper! 

Gee....wasn't "zyxhannah" Deanna Troi's Betazed mother? "Daughter of the Fifth House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed..etc. etc...".

Posted: 10/17/2012 1:33:31 PM
Amethyste

Well thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

Posted: 10/17/2012 8:07:21 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I am not going to get involved in this conversation, because, as I am not a proffesional thereminist, I never clicked on this thread... ;-)

Posted: 10/17/2012 11:14:15 PM
coalport

What thread are you talking about Fred? 

I haven't met anyone who is able to tell me what a "proffesional" ANYTHING is.

Posted: 10/17/2012 11:35:39 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

As there is probably no such word as proffesional, your right - and even if there was such a word, youd still be right.. In fact, I dont think I have even met someone who can tell me what a professional "anything" is - so your right..

In the light of the above, I can safely say that I am as proffesional a thereminist as you are, and you are as proffesional an engineer as I am.

And therefore my clicking on this thread was the right and propper thing to do... ;-)

but hey - when it comes to correct spelling.. ooh boy, I am treading on extremely dangeroos ground ..

Always has a bit of a prob with words - As a young kid, I read the signs at the sea pools in Cape Town, and was dissapointed at never seeing the Diving Dangeroos..

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.