Emotional while playing...

Posted: 11/6/2012 2:25:53 PM
Amethyste

Have you ever started to play your theremin and while playing, you suddenly have shivers and goose bumps all over?

It is not related to a chilled room, but emotions... It happened to me yesterday and sort of caught me by surprise ~ and kind of freaked me out a little bit... But all of the sudden, this wave of coolness and relaxation took over and my playing was very fluid...

Posted: 11/6/2012 7:06:53 PM
SewerPipe

The next "Level" in your journey. Prepare, be Aware.

IHS ---- Dana

Posted: 11/6/2012 8:45:08 PM
Amethyste

... Prepare? Be aware? Could you please elaborate?

Posted: 11/6/2012 11:11:44 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Prepare for spooky things happening - be aware when they do... perhaps ?  ,-)

LOL -

What are "emotions" anyway ? - No, Im not trying to get silly or metaphysical - Every emotion has physiological implications (in fact, one could rightly say that emotions are no "mystery" - they are physiological )..

Some triggers - (sounds, memories, whatever) causes a "reaction" which can do any number of physiological (and neurological) things - from raising or lowering your BP and heart rate, to releasing endorphines, to - well - just about anything you can think of... some "nice" ;-) .. and some "not so nice"..

Before we understood the mechanisms, all sorts of dangerous nonsense was spouted about the kind of "event" you expierienced - Everything from demons to angels to "baptism by the holy spirit" were blamed..

Fortunately, in most places on earth (with the possible exception of the USA, Some places in Africa and a few other backward nations) these facile ideas are laughed at by most, and understanding has replaced the dangerous ignorance.

There are, alas, some who would prefer ignorance to continue - as they enjoy the power this gives them over others - and they use this power to con the ignorant into believing their superstitous "explanations" for these natural events... Most often though, those who do this are themselves victims of ignorance and superstition.

Fred

In the "service" of Science, rational thinking, responsibility for our environment and our children's futures, and the debunking of dangerous superstitions.

Posted: 11/7/2012 1:34:34 AM
SewerPipe

Amey;

-------- "Sometimes", has been achieved. :~) --------

IHS ---- Dana

Posted: 11/7/2012 2:06:55 AM
Jeff S

Amethyste - I've never given myself "the chills" while playing even though I am able to do it on command with a mere thought.  That may be because I haven't been able to play well enough, but more likely because my systems are simply overwhelmed.

It may be that you've become comfortable enough while playing that your autonomic systems can react to what you're doing and hearing.  Someone here may suggest that is a detriment to your ability to control your playing.

However, I've often had a feeling of warmth, relaxation and well-being while playing the theremin.  That may be due to the release of endorphins and/or serotonin, but not being an endocrinologist I can't say for sure.

Posted: 11/7/2012 2:07:46 AM
Touchless

Hello Amey… It has been a while… often in a museum of art I feel a strong emotional response, which provokes goose bumps, I think of it as a true connection to the beauty of human nature.

“Fortunately, in most places on earth (with the possible exception of the USA, Some places in Africa and a few other backward nations) these facile ideas are laughed at by most, and understanding has replaced the dangerous ignorance.” – Fred

Fred...Wow as forum moderator you should try and restrain expressing your religious beliefs and keep your glucose level below 130 mg/dL.

Posted: 11/7/2012 3:01:22 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"as forum moderator"

Huh ? Are you saying I am a moderator, or that you are one? If I am a moderator, this is news to me! LOL ;-) .. If you are saying you are a moderator, well, thats also news to me!

Also, this isnt about "religious beliefs " - its about superstition - plain and simple.. We have centuries of mindless cruelty and barbarism to look back on because "unseen" and "demonic" forces were blamed for behaviours and "events" which were not understood.. Women burned at the stake because they "looked like a witch", people with mental illness having exhorcisms imposed on them with horrific rituals often leading to death, Epilepsy, Downs Syndrome, warts, whatever condition looked like it might possibly be "demonic" was dealt with abhorrently..

You know - I was a born-again penticostal christian when I got diabetes - I was with the Assemblies of God in Harfield Rd, Cape Town.. In hospital I was visited by the church elders who came to cast a demon from my pancreas. We were all educated middle class whites. THIS IS THE SORT OF MORONIC BEHAVIOUR WHICH HAPPENS WHEN SUPERSTITION TAKES OVER!!

I dont have a "problem" with religion - it has its essential place IMO, its role is to keep the masses from the potentially destructive effects of the truth..

I do have a problem with superstition in the "wrapper" of religeon, and with anything which can be seen to have a logical rational reason being attributed to some irrational superstitious reason.

There are questions science (as yet) has no verifiable explanation for, and some questions which can never be answered in a verifiable way - These matters are the domains in which philosophy and religeon may have the "right" to venture IMO - But areas where the reasons are clear and obvious and verifiable are not areas that I, for one, am willing to allow superstitious ideas to go unchallenged in.

Fred

In the "service" of Science, rational thinking, responsibility for our environment and our children's futures, and the debunking of dangerous superstitions.

Posted: 11/7/2012 3:42:00 AM
Amethyste

Thank you Everyone for your point of views. I don't have diabetes, I just think that the sound of the theremin with what I was playing were in perfect harmony (wave wise) and just realized how sweet and lucky I was to be able to do this!

I hope to feel it again soon :)

Posted: 11/7/2012 4:05:05 AM
FredM

"I don't have diabetes, I just think that the sound of the theremin with what I was playing were in perfect harmony (wave wise) and just realized how sweet and lucky I was to be able to do this!"- Amey

Amey - first.. I never meant to imply that you might have diabetes.. Low BS is something everyone gets sometimes - it rarely has anything to do with diabetes - I only get it as a result of the treatment for diabetes.

Also, I got the impression from your first posting that you were a little worried by the event - I just wanted to assure you that there was no cause for fear, and also to put my perspective that it was a simple physiological event which you would be wise not to read too much into.

Looks like I failed in my objective, and perhaps frightened you more.. sorry!

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.