Gig at the Goethe Institut on 12-7-12

Posted: 12/9/2012 6:03:26 AM
Amethyste

Here is a video that was taken at the Goethe Institut on 12-7-12. Doug Hammer (the pianist) couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear him. We were limited in the space we had and did the best I could set-up wise with what I was given. I have an app on my Itouch that can measure the noise level in a room and at one point, it registered 104bd. It was super loud, my headphone was cranked and still was tough to hear! Well, it doesn't help I have a major hearing loss in my right ear.

I have learned so much from this gig, and under the circumstances I was in, I am pretty happy with what I did. I started to play in the low range but as I was going, I knew i would hear better if I played the song in a higher register so I shifted into the higher realms in the middle of the song. Adapt right?

The highlight of the gig was the people coming and asking about it: I let them play with my Subscope in the intermission and it appealed equally to a younger and/or seasoned crowd.

Posted: 12/9/2012 11:34:19 AM
coalport

Amey,

No serious musician can perform under these conditions! The noise level in the room was horrendous. You couldn't hear yourself, and we (as viewers of the video) can't hear you either.

Why did you post this video? If I were you I would delete it and forget the gig ever happened. You are significantly flat in many places in WHITE CHRISTMAS but that is understandable under the circumstances. You have an excellent sense of pitch and are a much better musician than this video would suggest.

GET RID OF IT! 

Posted: 12/9/2012 1:17:18 PM
Amethyste

I agree i was off pitch in many places, and i posted this video for you guys to see what i had to go through so that others can learn as well. I am not perfect and never projected myself that way either. i am sure i'll be hiding the video in a few days (not many people watch my channel anyway), but wanted to share with you guys first :)

And why would I want to forget that the gig happened? It was wonderful time,we were background music to the festivities and it was a low pressure gig. One of rare occasions that is great to get out without worrying too much about what the results will be. I only played 3 songs on the theremin and the rest, I sang. I am happy that I did it as every experience, good and bad will form you as a better performer and player, and I am not ashamed of it. It is part of being transparent and allow yourself to be vulnerable as you cannot control every aspect of your life and surroundings.

Posted: 12/9/2012 3:19:44 PM
SewerPipe

Amey; You should of had the Bouncers "Eject" those people that were Enjoying themselves. After all, "You" "Must" Demand" that since you were there, "They" should have been required to bow to "Your" demands. One second thought, you should have had those "Ungrateful" people "Tar -n- Feathered". And I sure hope that not even "One" of those caliber of people that had the "Nerve" to Approach you about your Theremin, ever decides to try to play one. Can you imagine the "Disgrace" to the "Art" that could result. I do hope you let them know "You Will Never” Grace them with your presence again. While you Are at it “Fire” your booking agent for his Blunder of the event booking in the first place. You might want to Demand that “TW” put in security that will not allow any videos that could in any way put your “Image” as a “Master” in a bad light. Jason should be ashamed of himself for allowing you to post Your Video. Now I have gone and “Upset” myself, better go before I have a “Nervous” Break-Down. :~) :-) ;-)

IHS ---- Dana

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:33:29 PM
Thomas Grillo

I must say, I have a couple of videos which I leave up for my students to learn from regarding room noise, and field intrusion. I nearly deleted them, but my students have indicated that these vids were of great help to them. Yes, vids like this tend to show the theremin in a bad light at first, but it's important to make sure viewers know that this is not an indication of the performer's abilites with the theremin, but that the video is for educational purposes regarding the above. I've actually had a drunk member of the audience walk right up to me while I was playing, and reach out while asking questions. In that same vid, there was also massive room noise. A horrible performance environment for the theremin. Another vid features a lot of camera motion in which the producer was "flying" his camera about the room, and actually got within inches of the rod. I wound up having to alter my performance to compensate for that blunder. From then on, I made it a point to establish ground-rules when producers are in the studio, or near me when I'm performing.

Often, many gigs are in the form of "background music", and as such, are subject to the mercy of the patrons who are not there to "attend" a performance, but rather, are there for enjoyment of a party, or function, and will not recognize a live performance as "formal", and therefore, will not honor established norms regarding music appreciation.

Such are the hazards of live performing.

I think Amey made a wise decision to shift to a higher octave that allowed her to hear her playing better, and this video is a good example of adaptation in bad performance situations, and should not be considered representative of her level of skill as a professional musicion. However, perhaps, thereminists should ask one important question when arranging gigs. That is: "Is this going to be background music, or formal performance?" Of course, this depends on how many gurests will be there, ect.

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:52:15 PM
Amethyste

Swerpipe wrote: " You might want to Demand that “TW” put in security that will not allow any videos that could in any way put your “Image” as a “Master” in a bad light. Jason should be ashamed of himself for allowing you to post Your Video. Now I have gone and “Upset” myself, better go before I have a “Nervous” Break-Down. :~) :-) ;-) "

A master? Moi...? I don't think we are "master" at anything really (other than being imperfect, in which is am pretty good at:). I believe in a perpetual learning in which we get closer to the the best YOU can be at anything. We are all flawed. Thinking of it, I don't really want to be seen as a master. It is not a title I'd like to live to. It is unrealistic and too stressful in my opinion.

Posted: 12/9/2012 5:53:47 PM
coalport

Amey wrote: i posted this video for you guys to see what i had to go through so that others can learn as well.

Amey,

What do you feel we learned about the "do's & don'ts" of theremin playing from watching the video? 

Don't forget, you experienced the whole event and may have had a wonderful, unforgettable time, but we are only seeing a couple of rather unfortunate minutes, and that's all we have on which to base our impressions of the entire evening. 

No one suggested that you should "forget the gig ever happened". At the same time, although you may not be ashamed of it, I think that posting the video publicly might create the impression that you are actually proud of it. 

I have always been surprised when good musicians post performances of themselves that are clearly substandard. You're safe here in the protected environment of THEREMIN WORLD because we all know you and wuv you - but it's a big mean world out there!

I once played a CD of a renowned thereminist for a professional, world-famous musician friend of mine. He listened intently, and then quietly asked, "Does this girl have any idea how bad she is?"

OUCH!

Posted: 12/9/2012 6:04:36 PM
Amethyste

Coalport wrote:

Amey,

What do you feel we learned about the "do's & don'ts" of theremin playing from watching the video? 

What Thomas said, It is good to know a little more of your surrundings before hand! I NEVER expected the level of noise that this venue produced, it was deafening. I wanted to share with others that sometimes, it doesn't matter how prepared you can be for a venue, sometimes bad situations happen to good musicians, and this one is no different. I am not "proud" of my performance cause it wasn't great in any way. But I am proud of how I handled myself while playing and how I was able to adapt to a situation and make the best out it. It would have been much easier to pack up, and say "nevermind", but I promised I'd be there and I don't go back on my promises.

Posted: 12/9/2012 6:21:37 PM
Chobbs

Amy-     You're armed with a theremin and amplifier- a potentially deadly-obnoxious combo!  Next time you have loud or inattentive  audience, dont be so polite.  Start your set with a deafening 'siren song' (as in fire siren) to command  attention from those ingrates. 

Posted: 12/9/2012 8:28:31 PM
Amethyste

Chobbs ~ Sounds like fun... But there were over 300 people in there... I doubt I would have gotten the attention of everyone. We were hired as "ambience" music, it was not a "show" really. So it comes with the territory I suppose :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.