Theremin in San Luis Obispo on TV

Posted: 12/16/2012 5:27:34 PM
Thomas Grillo

This morning, I was watching a program called Joseph's Travel Scope on Create TV, a PBS subcarrier channel. A travel show featuring a street party that takes place most Thursdays in San Louis Obispo, CA happened to show a band performing in the background. There was an Etherwave Standard set up, but nobody was playing it, or anywhere near it at the time of the interview. The web site for the show is:

http://www.travelscope.net/

The program aired today, 16/Dec/2012

Posted: 12/16/2012 5:32:45 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Thomas,

Around 12.12.12 I purchased your video from Amazon for my Theremin Warriors, something I will share with you in the future. Your DVD has greater purpose than you might have imagined.

Thank you for helping me out!

Christopher

Edit: I got it, "First person views allow students to better understand the techniques for playing the theremin."

Posted: 12/25/2012 4:33:37 PM
Thomas Grillo

@RS Theremin Hello, and Merry Christmas Christopher. Sorry for the long delay in reply. I forgot to hit the subscribe butt.

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding the DVD. I'm glad to hear the DVD is helping you, and others with the theremin.

Posted: 12/25/2012 6:09:52 PM
Amethyste

Where can I find me a "subscibe butt"? I'd like one of those please :)

Posted: 12/25/2012 6:18:42 PM
Thomas Grillo

LOL. I meant "subscribe button". Rutty keyboard.

Posted: 12/25/2012 10:32:38 PM
coalport

Waddaya suppose Amey meant when she wrote "subscibe"?

Posted: 12/25/2012 10:47:44 PM
RoyP

Either a misspront or one sherry too many :-)

Having said that, I've had a sherry or two (....ehhmmm) and did approach my theremin with a view to doing a tune for the end of the year and have to say that, all things equal, 'sherries' and theremin playing don't really go! :-)

Yeh, ok, I know I'm only a beginner but for all that I know a) when my playing isn't the best and b) you should keep on trying!

I heard (allegedly) that Aly Bain was once asked how he could play so well when he was pished, he answered that he always practiced when he was pished.

Yeh, a happy Christmas thingy to y'all :-)

Roy

Posted: 12/25/2012 10:53:37 PM
Amethyste

I played last year while being tipsy and it doesn't work lol...

Posted: 12/26/2012 12:59:27 PM
coalport

RoyP wrote: ".....happy Christmas thingy to y'all"

Did you say "y'all"?!

Obviously you have come to us from Glasgow via Dallas/Fort Worth - an unfortunate itinerary.

Now, about playing when "pished". A drink (or two) before playing the theremin will give you courage and diminish your inhibitions and stage fright, but this is dangerous because it will also diminish your control. There is no musical instrument for which more control of oneself is required than the theremin.

All this may create the impression that you are playing better, when in fact you may not be. Your playing just seems better because it is without the nervousness that plagues so many performers, even in the privacy of their own living rooms. 

Thereminists have good reason to be nervous because apart from the fact that the instrument is humongously difficult to play well, we are acoustically in the dark. The use of an audio pitch preview can offset some of the uncertainty of playing, and it is not as hard on the liver as a shot of scotch whiskey.

Several years ago, I recorded a theremin version of Robert Burns' wonderful song, AE FOND KISS. It never saw the light of day because without Burns' extraordinary verse it did not touch the heart. This is often the case with simple but familiar songs that require their words in order to have an impact. Who is Eddi Reader? I just watched her version of AE FOND KISS on YT. She makes the most amazing hand gestures (which I love to watch).......she should play the theremin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMmtBgMaF5I

Posted: 12/26/2012 3:18:59 PM
RoyP

Obviously you have come to us from Glasgow via Dallas/Fort Worth - an unfortunate itinerary. - coalport

Close, more like Fife via Edinburgh and Dallas/Fort Worth. East coast route! Not sure if that is worse!

Anyhow, yes, I agree on the imbibing verses playing ability verses perception of playing ability: it would be interesting to plot a 3D graph with each of these on an axis, the line would be quite interesting indeed!

Eddie Reader hails from Glasgow and has had somewhat of a resurgence in the past 10 or so years to become one of Scotland's best known singers, rightly so I think.
As to the hand gestures-p
ossibly a manifestation of her thoughts as she sings or what she does to calm her nerves: no idea why she does it but it gets her through the song so it works for her.

Roy

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.